CPU seems to be idling high

I'd like to start overclocking sometime in the near future, but after looking at my idle CPU temps they seem pretty high. Right now Aida 32 tells me my CPU temp is 43C and it sometimes goes up to 46C (while idle). My motherboard temp is 49C which also seems high and my graphics card idles around 60C. Is this high or is it just me? And if it is high, is there any possible explanation/solution? My specs are in my sig. Thank you.

They're all on the high side for idle temps... what's the ambient room temperature?If it's 80-100F in the room, those temps are probably about right... Check the airflow in the case... you should have more air enterin the case than exiting (more fans pushing in than pulling out...)

This is a pic of the inside of my case. I'll be the first to admit that it's very poorly organized. It's the first computer I've assembled and wasn't quite sure how to go about placing all the wires. But would it make enough of a difference to warrant the temperature increase, or could it be something else?

dsc00093rt8.jpg

The electricity is getting confused about which wire path to take. LOL

Maybe reseat your HSF and use some A5?

Did the temps just start getting this high or did you not check before?

Do they drop when you take the cover off?

To be honest I've never really payed attention to it and I've had this PC almost 2 years. It might have always been that high. I haven't changed anything since I got it so it's likely it's just always been on the high side. I've never really had any issues though, but now that I want to OC I've realized I should probably get it a bit cooler before I try. I'll try taking the cover off and see what happens.

Oh and I did use AS5. I could try reseating the heatsink and reapplying some though. Should I switch to a 120MM fan on the heatsink?

Each processor is different and I have not had a 4200 but my 3700+ San Diego and my 165 Opteron idle @30-31c. The Sandy will do this over volted.

Sandy has a 9500 Zalman, and the Opteron has a Big Typhoon. Many people used the cooler you have and had good success with it. I think you should be having cooler temps with it but I have never used the 90. You are at a high idle temp to start OC from. Download the ITE SmartGuardian for your motherboard from the DFI site. It will be in the section with the drivers. It will read your volts and the 3 main temps. It gives you an easier way to monitor than what you are using.

Sometimes the heat sink base can be concave or the CPU top can be not flat and cause trouble in extreme situations. You could check this. Also I have seen where the heat sink did not get on quite right and another try does the trick. Did you put a "grain of rice" size of A5 in the middle of the cpu and let the heat sink squish it out? You can get too much A5. Do not "smear" it on or try to spread it out by hand.

Your goal should be to keep your cpu from exceeding 50C under load. That doesn't mean it can't go over while testing and some people don't mind running it over 50C but most use 50C as a do not exceed for extended periods mark.

i would say dust out your heatsink, if that doesn't help then redo your thermal compound. if you do the last suggestion, then both surfaces need to be as clean as humanly possible in order to get best results, even a speck of dust could screw it over if it got in between the CPU and heatsink during reassembly.

also, i prefer negative case air pressure since the entire front of my case is one big mesh with places for dvd drives... and touch the side of your heatsink, if it feels as or close to the hot water in your house its too hot. i personally don't trust my bios or software, they all read well over 60°C and sometimes past 70°C, though its cool to the touch and a thermistor attached to the IHS reads no higher than 38°C... and im using a big typhoon @ settings in my sig. if you have a thermistor or an infrared thermometer use that. the thermal sensors in todays hardware is not calibrated, so its not uncommon to get inaccurate readings ;).