680i It annoys me...

Hi people. It annoys kme when I am trying to get a system stable and I cant tell what the problem is like when a game crashes on me. For example, I can be playing Rainbow Six Vegas, the game will be running flawlessly and the game will just hard lock on me, no BSOD no crash back to the desktop just hard locks with looping sound and I have to push the reset button. :mad:

So then I think, maybe ill check the event viewer to see if there was an error logged there...no such luck... So I am just left sitting here trying to figure out what the heck went wrong, driver or system config error...who knows.. :confused:

Right after the crash I ran a quick 20min test of 2x Orthos, and 2x memtests while running 3dm06 and no crash, no mem errors. Every thing is at stock frequencys and stock voltages, and all the latest drivers and BIOS are installed. :confused:

So I guess what I am asking is, is this crash problem probably more to do with the game rather than my config of the system ?

If you're running Vista, that's most likely your problem. Even the latest drivers don't always fix problems. I just got the last driver I needed (I think) so that it won't BSOD and restart on me at random times. BTW, it was my sound module driver.

As far as R6 Vegas goes, I haven't heard of major problems with it, so I don't think it's the game.

By the way....nice rig :-)

Although you have a kickass PSU, you might want to hook up a multimeter to a molex connector and see if there are any power issues during the game, you could have got a bad one. Next I would probably check your temps while in the game. But like superorca said, if your running Vista then its probably some sort of driver conflict. Check all your voltages are right, before raising them, but a notch up like darkorb said has solved many a stability problem for me in the past.

If you're running Vista, that's most likely your problem. Even the latest drivers don't always fix problems. I just got the last driver I needed (I think) so that it won't BSOD and restart on me at random times. BTW, it was my sound module driver.

As far as R6 Vegas goes, I haven't heard of major problems with it, so I don't think it's the game.

By the way....nice rig :-)

Not running vista yet... Ive got it but it sucks the big one as far as performance goes... Gonna wait until SP1 comes out to see if that helps boost performance. :rolleyes:

try giving ur CPU and everything else just a tad more voltage and see if that fixes it

Ill Give that a try and post back the results.... :)

Right after the crash I ran a quick 20min test of 2x Orthos' date=' and 2x memtests while running 3dm06 and no crash, no mem errors. Every thing is at stock frequencys and stock voltages, and all the latest drivers and BIOS are installed.QUOTE']

Contrary to popular belief orthos, memtest, and all of the typical 3D testing programs are not the definitive when it comes to stability. I have had 2 systems recently that met all requirements relative to the above mentioned tests and would have allowed me to post in the OCDB but whenever I loaded up UT2004 and ran it the systems would crash. In both cases a little bump in vcore solved the problem. Give it a try and see where you end up.

Bumped up the voltages but it still crashed. On a hunch, set the affinity to 1 core and the game isnt crashing now.....

Is R6Vegas multicore compatible ?

Also used a mm and voltages are-

Idle 5v - 5.09

Idle 12v - 12.36

Load 5v - 5.09 (Didn't even drop)

Load 12v - 12.33

Just for refrence I use the P5N32-E SLi, Striker's little bro. I'm running OCed at 7x 495 FBS, linked/sync 1:1. These are stable: ODCB tests, Super Pi, Prime95, ect... my last test being able to game for long sessions. ALL passed. So from there my max OC is 522 FSB 1:1. I've had it stable enuf to pass all OCDB test, super PI, even gamed for a couple hours.

Here's my gripe. Like I said - 495FSB was stable before, but now it hard locks/crashes while gaming, fails orthos, and/or fails 3dMark01 on the bump map test usually. It doesn't matter what OC I try (3.0-3.6GHZ) it still fails. My once stable OC is unstable. WTF happed? I've struggled with this for awhile now and still can't figure it out. I've found that turning all power off and letting it rest over night solves the problem temporarily. Is the Asus 680i playing games with me?

I'm getting an E6850, so I'll get to do some more testing. It's not looking to good for my 680i. I'm feed up with the hassel of maintaining a stable OC, heck I'm not even sure I found one yet. Sorry bout the little rant with no helpful info, matched thread title good.

Guest ElAguila

There are some posts on the evga site that mentions some problems coming because the stock thermal material on the chipsets and mosfets is really crappy. If you haven't already you might want to replace that. I looked at what they had on mine and it was a very poor job.

Your right about that, heatpipe setup was removed early and replaced. I wish there was a thermal sensor for the NB. That's another complaint I have. The dang thing would get so hot before, I thought a water block was a must.

I'll be gettting my E6850 tomorrow, we'll see if things work out. It gets old finding stable settings, then next day it crashes on a test that passed multi times before. Or even worst, it crashes right when I'm ready to pwn a noob.