Sign in to follow this  
n3ro

Windows SATA/Mass Storage Diver

I am trying to install Win XP on a friends laptop. It currently has Vista on there and running just fine. Whenever i load Win setup program, it is not able to locate the HD, or locate a HD to install win on. I am thinking its because an on-board sata/and or SCSI controller. Any thoughts on how to fix this. I downloaded the driver, but its an exe file, and well Windows setup doesn't run those ;)

The computer is a

Gateway MT6821 Notebook

No, I want to just format and get rid of Vista.. Normally it tells you so select the partition/Hd you want to install it on, but I get that it cant locate a HD or partition to format :P

I remember this happening a few yrs ago when I installed Win XP on my desktop with a SATA Drive... I just dont remember how i solved it.

You may have to use fdisk or some format program or Boot and Nuke etc.

Ultimate Boot disk may have something on it's bootable ISO.

Edit: Be sure you don't have any other HD hooked up.

You may have to use fdisk or some format program or Boot and Nuke etc.

Ultimate Boot disk may have something on it's bootable ISO.

Edit: Be sure you don't have any other HD hooked up.

Well, That would detect the HD Im sure, but its still the fact that the Windows setup doesn't see it. You think that formatting and then installing would allow it to see due to a vista partition and file system?

i had this problem with the vista install... i went into the bios and disabled the nvidia raid and sata raid controllers because i wasn't running anything in raid. the windows xp and vista installers can read normal sata drives fine for me.

Good call, however in this BIOS there is no option to disable.... Im going nucking futs... :P

Ok - I got the Mass Storage Driver and was able to load the setup files to the HD, however, after the setup and initial reboot - its not able to locate the HD.. .I am thinking its because that driver isnt there anymore.. Any thoughts?