Good firewall?

Hotshot

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like ZA too, even if you have a router you still need a firewall. A router will not stop Trojans and Viruses connecting from your PC. The windows firewall is absolutely useless in all aspects and is as effective as a paper bag in the rain.

Sygate, ZAP and Outpost would be what I would recommend. although Norton bought Sygate and I just don't trust Norton, the old sygate is best like Suedenim said.

I've still got the install - 9MB though, so hope you get it on the internet. if not then PM.

I used to have the nF3 mobo and its onboard firewall was good enough, does the nF4 you have offer the same?

I like ZA too, even if you have a router you still need a firewall. A router will not stop Trojans and Viruses connecting from your PC. The windows firewall is absolutely useless in all aspects and is as effective as a paper bag in the rain.

Sygate, ZAP and Outpost would be what I would recommend. although Norton bought Sygate and I just don't trust Norton, the old sygate is best like Suedenim said.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing. I just wonder how ZA stops a Trojan from getting into your computer. Do not Trojan's enter your computer as files you have requested and you then run them intentionally or not and they install. How would a firewall stop this?

I am putting on my flame retardant gear so flame away:)

Yeah, watching where you go or what you download is your front line defense or basically your front line common sense.

Zone alarm is IMO the easiest to configure and its definitely in the top 5 of software firewalls. The ZA antivirus is surprisingly good too, I use ZAP + AVG free. I do a system scan every week, and scan everything I download via right click.

There are very good trojan scanners out there but you get exactly what you pay for, I have used quite a few and found trojans in all manner of fles.

I wouldnt put it past norton or mcafee to have a dark dank celler with a team of script kiddies working round the clock to ensure they still have a job the next day ? they would probably all look like Thraxz's avatar lol.

I am currently using Outpost Pro and am very pleased with it. Not only does it monitor connections but also blocks adds and has an anti-spyware capabilities. In the past I have used zone alarm free, sygate 2.1.5 and comodo and each has its upsides, but they also had their downsides. ZAF got to where it was to much bloat. Sygate is no longer supporting 2.1.5 (and is no longer sygate) and comodo was always asking for permission for sites that I had told it to remember