Good firewall?

Hotshot

Anyone know any good firewalls?

Seems like I have tried so many... Cant find a firewall that actually works as a firewall without negatively effecting my computer and/or crashing...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pollushon

Included in SP2 - Windows Firewall. Perfectly acceptable and compatible with Windows. Combined with NAT on your modem/router is the perfect solution. The only downfall is it does not report outgoings. This just means you need to be more vigilant with spyware/malware/virus'.

Other than that the only firewall I recommend is a Pix :)

Software firewalls suck butt unless you are connected straight to your cable/dsl modem. If you're running a router then don't even bother with it. I only run anti-virus...no need to bother with all that spyware crap or software firewalls. They tend to cause more problems rather than solving them.

If you are running a router, it is your most powerful protection for incoming connections. Depending on the router you can also download third party firmware which can increase your firewalls abilities.

If your computer keeps crashing because of installed software its usually your OS and not the software. Perhaps you should question a reformat.

I'm using my Linksys WRT54GL wireless router with Tomato firmware for my first source of protection but I am also running Outpost v1.0 for extra protection and to monitor my outgoing connections. I suggest it if your looking for a good software firewall. It has a small footprint and you can create custom connection types for all your applications if you like. Version 1.0 is the only free version so when you download it don't update it or you will have to purchase it after the trial period. It can be found here: http://majorgeeks.com/Outpost_Firewall_Free_d1056.html. After you install it you should remove all the plug ins for it except for the intruder detection plug in. Most of them you won't need unless you require them specifically.

Spyware and trojans send out date from your machine, but even my $120 VPN router has outgoing connections enabled by default.

If you know how to keep your system clean that shouldn't even matter. As stated multiple times before; a hardware (router) firewall is best, while the Windows XP SP2 Firewall does what it needs to do with proper configuration.

oops, forgot to mention I am looking for a software firewall. My fault.

I do not have a router, and even if I was forced to get one I would still want a software firewall.

Also this is not a system stability issue. I sort of do networking technical support.

edit: I am giving comodo a try.

Guest Pollushon
Software firewalls suck butt unless you are connected straight to your cable/dsl modem. If you're running a router then don't even bother with it. I only run anti-virus...no need to bother with all that spyware crap or software firewalls. They tend to cause more problems rather than solving them.

Software firewalls have more overview of your system than a hardware firewall. If a Trojan is reporting home using a common port (piggy-backing) than a hardware firewall is useless. A software F/W can distinguish the actual data as opposed its transport and whilst not in every situation will report this back to you. The only time a hardware F/W kicks a software F/W is if its IP Address oriented. Other than that the 2 go hand in hand: Yin and Yang.

I can see using the one Yukon Trooper recommended just the way he said, simply for intruder detection. Personally I would not even run it resident but use it for diagnostics. I run none of this crap resident that simply detects after the fact, which is what all antivirus programs do. Load my system down 24/7 with stuff that will eventually tell me "you have a virus" ... I don't think so. But for diagnostics I use them.

Run SpywareBlaster now and then

Immunize with SpyBot

Don't click on email links

I use Panda Antivirus+Firewall, and I have a hardware firewall... never had a problem with Panda! It does an excellent job, and doesn't bog my system down at all! I've run it on an older machine too, and it didn't slow anything down...

I'd recommend running both... as long as you can find a software firewall that does a good job without slowing you down...

I have my router, then an old 386 box running Smoothwall. On my rigs i run Kaspersky AV. Nothing more needed. The only reason for runing Smothwall is to allow me to VPN into my main rig when i'm working away. If it was a standalone rig just a router and an AV on the machine is all that's needed.