NVIDIA Forceware Release 162 BETA VISTA 32/64 (07/11/2007)

NVIDIA Forceware Release 162 for 8800 series: VISTA 32/64

Windows Vista 32-bit:

ForceWare Release 162

Version: 162.22

Release Date: July 10, 2007

Beta Driver

Windows Vista 64-bit:

ForceWare Release 162

Version: 162.22

Release Date: July 10, 2007

Beta Driver

Quote from Windows Vista 32-bit Release Highlights:

“….

• This driver supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL.
  • Improved compatibility for Lost Planet.
  • Added "Resize the HDTV desktop" underscan compensation option

…. [“Vista 32-bit Release Highlights”: [ON-LINE]: 07/14//2007: : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_162.22.html].”

Release Notes - 162.22 (Vista 32-&64-bit)

…I performed the clean installation of this beta driver for two times, but I got BSOD in a few minutes after the installation. I moved back to the version 158.45 BETA, which has worked best on my Vista 32-bit box.

Though I guess that this could be because of my BIOS-overclocked 8800 GTX cards, I wonder if someone has problems using the 162.22 version of the BETA driver.

• 2 weeks later...

The WHQL 162.22 has been released...

Problem:

Blue screen of death (BSOD) occurs instantly after ForceWare 162.22 driver is installed and set-up (check the display properties and enable SLI) is done.

Problem Description:

The installation and set-up go smoothly without errors. However, I start using OS (clicking an icon on desktop or open folders/files …etc) after the installation & set-up, in a few minutes BSOD occurs. I tried the 163.11 BETA, but it is the same thing.

I performed clean installation* of the 162.22 for three times. However, it always ends up with BSOD.

Before I tried the 162.22 driver, I’ve used the 158.45 BETA driver. With this beta driver, I have had no issue at all.

*clean installation: the steps I perform to install ForceWare are described below.

1. Uninstall Riva Tuner (version 2.02), nTune, and NVIDIA display driver using Windows’ Programs and Features.

2. Restart the OS.

3. On restart, log on to the Safe-Mode.

4. Run the “DH Driver Cleaner .NET (version 3.2.0.0)” to clean nVidia and restart the OS.

5. On restart, log on normally, perform the ForceWare installation and restart the OS.

6. On restart, log on normally, enable SLI and restart the OS.

7. On restart, log on normally, install nTune and Riva Tuner, and restart the OS.

162.18s work well now that they're official, although for some reason Futuremark still hasn't certified them stable. They were a Beta at one point, but were made permenant after they fixed the error I ran in to.

They work a lot better with SLI or single card, VS. 97.92s or 158.22s, in benchmarks and gaming, least from what I've seen.

I posted my problem in NVIDIA forums.

This is what I was told: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=228633

...that reminds me of what I did to make S.T.A.L.K.E.R. run on my Vista box; BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva…

The size of the user-mode address space for 32-bit versions of Windows. The default value is 2 GB. To specify a larger value, set INCREASEUSERVA to the size of the address space, in MB. The valid range for INCREASEUSERVA is 2048 to 3072. This data type is not used for 64-bit versions of Windows[“Windows Boot Loader, BCDEdit Reference””, Page. 27: : download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/BCDedit_reff.doc [ON-LINE]: 07/29/2007]”

I’ll try re-set the memory allocation to see if it works. If it does not, I will try one card at one time. If it does not settle the problem, I’ll wait for the service pack one…

I tried 162.22 installation again.

With advice I got at the NVIDIA forums, I turned off the 3GB switch, which I did for S.T.A.L.K.E.R*.

After all my attempts ended up with the same error (instant screen blank out --> BSOD), I performed clean un-installation and installed the 158.45 BETA driver; installation was done without any errors / warnings. …no warnings on installing non-WHQL driver? Anyway, I restarted my box when installation was completed.

On restart, the display driver was not installed; no NVIDIA Control Panel was found && no NVIDIA driver was found in NVIDIA drivers under “Program and Features” and the graphic cards under “Device Manager”. Vista even failed to load the default (or core) driver to the graphic cards…

O.K., I cleaned the driver installation traces using Driver Cleaner .NET and did 158.45 BETA installation; no errors / warnings, installation was completed and the OS was restarted.

Again, the NVIDIA driver was not installed.

I tried installation for three times. The same result. I had no clue. I could not try other drivers because I knew that the 158.45 BETA was the only one driver that has been stable and worked without any issues on my Vista box.

After all, “System restore” using the Vista installation DVD saved me. The system was restored with 158.45 BETA drivers.

Conclusion: I will never try the 162.22 driver.

*3GB switch:

To turn on the 3GB switch on Vista:

- Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" at the command prompt and restart the computer.

To turn off the 3GB switch on Vista:

- Enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa" at the command prompt and restart the computer.

Potential issues with the 3GB switch:

"Potential Issues

The problem with this, however, is that few people know about this feature and only a fraction of those users actually make use of it. As such, many developers of device drivers simply assume that they have the standard 2GB block of kernel address space to work with and hard code their drivers along those lines (which is admittedly true for the vast majority of installations). If you shrink that space down, any drivers making this assumption are going to experience problems. At the very least it will generally lead to a very unstable machine, at the worst it will prevent the machine from booting at all.

The most common culprit for this type of problem is the video card. Modern graphics cards often have large quantities of onboard memory that must be mapped into the virtual address space. This process requires a sizable contiguous block of addresses within the kernel space, so the 1GB limit can become a serious liability. If there is insufficient space, the driver will often fail to load and cause the system to crash during the boot up phase["IncreaseUserVa ProPHOTO WIKI": http://: [url=http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php/IncreaseUserVa]http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php/IncreaseUserVa [ON-LINE] 07/31/2007]."

O.K, two interesting updates.

1. Beta Vista Compatibility, Performance and Reliability Packs:

• 938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack
  • 938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack

I installed them but no time to test my games yet... Has anyone checked them out already?

2. New Everest Beta on 07/23/2007 (version: 4.10.1076 Beta):

"EVEREST Ultimate Edition Beta Build 1076, AES benchmark, support for K10 + Bearlake + Radeon HD 2xxx + GeForce 8".

evevos9.th.jpg

The MCP temperature and local video memory usage can be monitored with this beta version. I was told that the company was going to make a NDA with NVIDIA to read more info from the 680i chip in the last year. I think that they made it.

thank god I'll never use Vista

The problem he was referring to pertains to 32-bit addressability and it happens to all OSs not vista only, try and stick 4gbs of RAM on a Windows XP 32 and stick two 8800 GTXs in SLI and you'll have the same problem.

and yes...you'll switch to vista eventually, when all the initial problems are fixed...

You probably hated XP when it first came out in 2001 didn't you?

:-)

I went ahead and loaded up the Vista Ultament 64bit a few night's ago and used the driver they had on Nvidia's site for 64bit Vista and then I used the compatability update I founjd at 3D-Guru the 64bit one and thing's are running ok so far.There is a bunch of stuff I havent figured out yet like the Vista Firewall- I have it turned off and it's still on. The little Sphinx software freeby firewall controll pannel is working ok so far but after a solid hour of messing with it I still have a yellowe circle on my Shadow's Bittorrent client instead of a green/mean's clear conection.

Im running the 162. I believe, or the posted driver and right now Ide just like to find a good OC'ing program for my new Video card. Ati and ntune are out I may try Riva again in compatability mode. If anybody has any sugestion's hollar at me. Even if I dont get to OC my Vid card that's ok this little 8800GTS is running grate at the moment. BA