Mmmm Stabbing!

Darkorb

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Education about other religions is probably the most overlooked issue facing modern society.

BTW The reign of dinosaurs only lasted from about 225 million to 65 million years ago.

I stand corrected. I was watching the discovery channel late at night and was sleepy. Got my facts mixed up. Thanks ExRoadie :) Still a long time, hey?

ExRoadie says "Just remember that people have taken "religion" and corrupted it for their own personal gain across the ages. This doesn't mean that religion is bad. It just means that bad people have done bad things in the name of religion."

Very well put. Couldn't have siad it better myself. I like your entire post on the subject and couldn't agree with you more.

Fair enough, as long as religion doesn't interfere with me I really have no problem with people practicing in whatever way they want. However, there are some people that I se as detrimental to their own religions - missionaries.

As for lack of discipline, when the hell is it going to be allowed to smack your kid in a shopping mall, much less let some teacher do it if need be? I recognize that parents have their own methods of raising their kids, but some of them are just wrong. The state actually does know better than them in some situations.

Are you saying you agree or disagree with corporal punishment?

There's nothing wrong with missionaries, as long as they stick to helping people and not spreading some kind of religious war.

Are you saying you agree or disagree with corporal punishment?

There's nothing wrong with missionaries, as long as they stick to helping people and not spreading some kind of religious war.

I agree with beating children (and other people) when they deserve it.

I'm not certain they'd be called missionaries if they didn't try to spread their religion.

Wow sorry guys, I guess I started another jihad with this whole debate. :) I was just trying to say ignorance of other peoples cultures can go a long way in starting quarrels amongst ourselves. Because you always fear what you can't or won't understand, and with fear comes hate, and rage. Educating each other on our differences is the best thing we can do.

I served a 4 year term in the USAF, and have been all around the world. I have seen a lot. Lots of cultures and religions. I have to say I have grown less and less fond of religion over the years. I mean all a religion really is, is a set of guidelines that help us overcome our human nature. It helps us dig deep and find goodness within ourselves. And you cynical guys are right, religion is not right for everyone. Some people need it to make them better people. Would you begrudge them that right, or persecute them simply to satisfy your whims of disagreement? In what way is that fair and just?

by Technodan; As for lack of discipline, when the hell is it going to be allowed to smack your kid in a shopping mall, much less let some teacher do it if need be?

This is still allowed for parents to do...but society has some/most parents scared to do so because of abuse and child services....

schools are not allowed to do it because of lawsuits filed by parents who think spanking kids is unfair punishment....bull crap....just plain bull crap

I got my butt paddled a few times in school....and had the principal called home I got it again when I got home by my dad...

I was always warned by may parents that if they had to come to school for us kids because of our behavior problems it was an automatic butt-whooping...

I carry the same sentance for my children...lucky for me as well as my children it's never had to happen...

NOW I can tell you for a fact it's ok to spank your children should they need it...BUT as long as you DON'T cross the abuse line...

I have been hauled into court on 2-3 occasions for spanking my kids by others who think I was wrong...The Judge told me personally thats what a kids butt is for...better not be a mark above or below but should they get out of line then by all means indulge...

ALL of my older children have been interviewed on several occassions on my punishment tactics...All they say is..."If we dont break the rules we dont get into trouble...it's easy...just dont break the rules but, if we do dad gets us..."

I only tell them once or twice and then the 3rd time we escalate the punishment...we stand them in the corner...if it happens again we spank...

Only thing that gets a spanking from the start is lying or steeling...and they learn the 1st time...3 swats 1st offence 5 the second 10 the 3rd...

Usually it only happens once and only once...

My children know of religion but have not been brought up in a religious upbringing...I dont believe you can depend on either to help them...It's your job as a parent to teach them right or wrong...no one elses..

We are to quick to blame the teachers for not teaching them better but not giving them the charge to correct them should they get out of line...I say let the schools spank the kids..

Some of it I can blame on society because with the economy both parents have to work and are not home to teach the kids any better and those parents rely on the school system to do it...BS also...

Not trying to get a flame or involve politics in here either...

The only thing that helped me is when I went to court and the other parents who protested spanking children I asked only 2 questions...

1) do you have children

2) have they ever been in trouble...

Luck for me they said yes on both accounts...I could only answer yes to the 1st one...so far

not even for me as much as a school detention...when my children get into trouble and I have to ground them I take away ALL privledges...no tv, radio, PC, phone....no nothing...just the bedroom..

my oldest daughter spend 4 months grounded last year and so far she has walked the chalk and everything has been great...

as for religion...I have my own views also but yes I do have faith but I dont go to church...

I am aslo with Dan as far and people trying to shove things on you....I am fine with just about anything as long as you arent trying to push it on me...

I'll make my own decisions...

I also dont believe that there should be fighting against believers and non-believers...just except who or what you are and go on with that...no sence in trying to get some one to change...

you'll only know the truth when you die...just wait till then...;)

I'm not certain they'd be called missionaries if they didn't try to spread their religion.

Perhaps not, but there are many Christian and Catholic groups offering relief in poor countries, and I have a great deal of respect for them. Not that Atheists don't do the same, of course, but you mentioned missionaries. Perhaps missionaries is not the right word to describe these people then.

I like how you put that, Dr. Bowtie. :D

Thank you...

I have my own beliefs also as I stated...for my personal is that you have to have a balance between fact and fiction just like physical and emotional...

Not saying a balance between belief and not belief or anything like that...

But I dont think you can compare missionaries to atheist...? because they way missionaries are portrayed they are kind of like the way our government is ran with assisting others...so to speak...

Always worried more about helping others than fixing whats at home....

Now I dont want you guys to take this the wrong way but I dont see the point in helping other countries outside ourselves when we have homeless people here that cant get help or the financial situations we have here...

Same thing with missionaries...why go help other contries with what you spread when maybe their way might be better...

for me it's kinda like letting people in the USA and then changing our life style to better suit them...I dont wish to learn another language...I am american I speek american...besides if their country was so great why did they leave to come here...

Nothing is ever going to be perfect or even fully right for that matter...rules get overlooked to suit who they feel best suited...it's just how it is...no sence arguing the point...

I am NOT by any means a political person either...I dispise politics as much as anything but, I try to stand for my right when they are being crowded...

There are so many things in life people could learn so much from and gain such knowledge of how things really are but the bad thing is some people get pretty offended at the slight mentioning of a dis-belief for wrong belief...that it starts a flaming war...there is just no sence in it at all...just accept the way a person believes and move on...

I have no problem with what a person believes or why they belive this way...it most fun to listen to their point of view and decifer for yourself with a little common sence...Thats why we are INDIVIDUALS...

Dan says it best with "free thinkers" basically you have to learn to think "Outside the Box"

If you take to heart everything you hear or see as the truth you are just as dumb as the next guy...their are times people dont know the truth and reprt what they think is the truth and if I tell you what he/she said then you believe it...

For instance...how to you know that the letter A is really and A how do you know its not a D or and F...you know the A is an A because you were told that all your life...no real proof it's just what you were told so you believe it because everyone else does too...

But you say Doc it's written in every book...yea so what...maybe the 1st guy to write a book got it wrong also...

just like how to you know the color Green is actually Green...it could be Blue but everyone told you it was Green so you believe it's green....How do you know everyone isnt wrong...???

Do you see what I am saying...? If one person gets it wrong over time everyone gets it wrong...Stupidity is contagious and wit some many options and beliefs out their its best to keep and open mind...

Dont just believe because everyone you know believes or not believe for the same....take a little of both worlds and draw your own conclusion...thats why they call it finding YOUR own way...;)

you know as I look back on all the believers and non believers I can only really notice one thing that sets them apart and I have yet to find out why...?

People who have faith in god and a religious back ground and practice regularly always have a good attitude and smile alot... non-believer tend to be more attitude-ish more apt to be grumpy...

You might all say Doc your full of ....but I tell you I meet alot of people several thousands and I can tell you I can pick believers and non-believer out just by face gestures...

Anyone got a take on that....??? (not debating but rather curious whay the attitude difference)

Anyone got a take on that....??? (not debating but rather curious whay the attitude difference)

I understand exactly what you're saying. Personally, I question everything myself, so I know exactly what you mean.

Speaking of green, in some languages, blue and green are considered just two shades of the same color. In Vietnamese, for instance, the word is "xanh". They use the terms translated "leaf grue" and "ocean grue" to distinguish. I found that interesting.

On the other hand, other languages distinguish more colors than we identify. Light blue and dark blue are different colors in Italian, Hebrew, and Russian, for instance. This can be thought of as how we distinguish pink from red (a distinction likewise unknown in languages such as Chinese, who simply call it "powder red").

We can learn a lesson from this, and that is that the truth, while not subjective, is not clear-cut. "Green is green," "blue is blue," and "red is red," while accurate, don't take the whole picture into account.

Suppose someone were to say "drains spin clockwise". But someone who lives in the southern hemisphere says they spin anti-clockwise.

Let's ignore for a minute the fact that countless other forces will affect the drain spin more than the Coriolis effect will. You could either say that neither assertion is completely true, or both are partially true. They may argue endlessly over who is right, but the whole truth would be that they spin one direction in the north, and the other direction in the south.

You could also throw another wrench in the works and point out that sundials spin in the opposite direction in the south too, and that it could be said that drains always spin clockwise, just to confuse everyone... ;)

This is still allowed for parents to do...but society has some/most parents scared to do so because of abuse and child services....

Yeah, I sort of meant other people may look at you as a bad parent for doing so - apparently you've run into that. Personally I applaud any parent that has the balls to spank their kid in a public place, I hope I will do the same if need be.

More to come when I get the time...:angel: