8800GTS vs. 8800GTX

I'm planning on upgrading my video card soon to go with my purchase of a new 24" widescreen monitor and was originally going to get an 8800GTS in order to be able to run it at native resolution. However, after looking at benchmarks the 8800GTX seems to perform significantly better. Would it be worth it for me to get the 8800GTX instead to replace the 7800GTX in my current system (with the RAM change)? Or would it be bottlenecked and I should just go for the 8800GTS?

Even though the 8800GTX will be bottlenecked and won't quite kick as much butt as on a Core2 system.....I would still go for the GTX since you have the 24in monitor. I got the 8800GTX in the system on my sig and it still kicks. I was running 2 7900GTX's before and now it is way faster in games. I am running a 23in screen. I just hope it will run good when Crysis is installed.......if not....I will have to drop the 8800 in my Core 2 system.

Even with the processor being the bottleneck you will still see an increase in performance with today's high end games using the GTX instead of the GTS.

Although 3dMark06 doesn't translate well to real world usage it is a good indicator for how the system scales. The first pic the processor is running at 3960MHZ and in the second it is running at 3600MHz. Not only is the processor speed slower in the second screenshot but the memory is running slower and the timings are more lax. But yet there is a 500 point increase because of the increased speed of the video GPU and memory. 683/1050 vs 756/1134.

Had to post links as the pics are over the size limits.

with a 24 inch moniter then the GTX would be the better choice, but that said, it still depends on what games you play, im happy with the performance of the GTS and it OC very well too, as for the cpu being a bottle neck? it wont play a big part in FPS @ high res no matter what cpu you have, C2D or AMD nothing in it at all, so get the best you can afford for long term enjoyment :D

considering how cheap you can get an 8800GTS right now (i got mine for $300 shipped off eBay), i wouldn't spend the $500+ on a GTX. what games will need it?

Future-Proofing. Future games will (hopefully) soon be dx-10-required-only and getting a gtx now means no upgrades 3 years down the line, the only upgrade 3 years down the line would be.. add another gtx :D

On another note, the GTS actually has less dedicated video ram, and shader units on-die, the gtx actually as 128 shader units, the gts has 96. The memory as far as i can find online on both GTS & GTX is equal, it's just the gpu processor that's less. Other than having less shader units on the gts, the gts is only 500mhz vs the 575mhz on the gtx.

the video ram is what you want if you're like me and addicted to anti-aliasing and antistropic filtering, i won't play any game without it now. Higher video memory means higher frame rates with AA/AF on.