Sign in to follow this  
charlie22911

no sound, no matter the audio card...

I've tried VirtualPC, VMWare and Virtual Box and VirtualBox was so much faster than the other two. I'm not sure why but it runs like it's running off of the RAM. When I run VMWare and VirtualPC my HDD never stops paging and it's dog slow.

You might checkout VirtualBox next time you load up a VM :)

http://www.virtualbox.org/

hey thanks for that! will give it a try :)

OK now it's getting down right confusing. I was referring to InFeKtioN's post.:P

momoceio, you are right, virtual box does seem faster, another program I didn't know existed. Thanks.

By the way, if one were to try installing XP in virtual and one chose the "format" option, would it do a virtual format and install the program?

the VPC client creats a "virtual HDD file", kinda like a *.iso image thats writable and that the guest OS sees as a standard IDE drives, so it "formats" the file and installs it there.

the VPC client creats a "virtual HDD file", kinda like a *.iso image thats writable and that the guest OS sees as a standard IDE drives, so it "formats" the file and installs it there.

Of course, it works with a file, that makes sense. Always spooked at the word format even in a virtual world.

Is there a quick explanation of how to access a network and/or files outside the Virtual Machine from within?

What is meant by some dual cores supporting VM? What does the support do that unsupported do not?

Charlie you are very good at answering questions with few words. I answer with MANY words. I like your way better.

Is there a quick explanation of how to access a network and/or files outside the Virtual Machine from within?

sure, it uses network sharing (NAT), or you can set it to access the hardware directly through the emulated VM network card. to share files, VPC2k7 has "VM additions" which allows to share a drive or folder as a "network folder", or you can drag and drop right to the VM from host OS and vice versa.

What is meant by some dual cores supporting VM? What does the support do that unsupported do not?

the guest OS does not see a multi core system as having more than one core, how much of the cpu and number of cores it uses depends on how much the VM allows it. so other than performance, you wont see any difference between multisingle core.

Charlie you are very good at answering questions with few words. I answer with MANY words. I like your way better.

thx :). i always try to keep things simple... though sometimes i feel a need to punish my keyboard so i type alot more than usual...