no sound, no matter the audio card...

charlie22911

oh man its great! currently running:

windows98 second edition

windows2000 professional

windowsXP professional

windows vista enterprise (MS trial)

ubuntu 7.10

i can run all of them at once without a slowdown (except for vista :tooth:), its awesome, ultimate bragging rights :D.

that enterprise trial is a treat, like try before you buy :rolleyes:. so far i like, its pretty snappy to be a VM of its caliber :drool:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, here is a screen of vista on Virtual PC for you ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/cha.../untitled-1.jpg

You are running XP with Vista in VPC? Dang never though of it ... just to try Vista.

I've used VPC for testing software but have never installed an entire OS. How long did it take to iinstall Vista?

Did it detect hardware ... I suppose it had to. So you could test the problems you would have installing Vista before actually doing it. Very cool.

Can you see your drives or is it limited to the virtual environment.

OK I'll stop:):):)

no, its ok :), i always welcome questions.

the guest OS doesnt see any of your real hardware, its has its own emulated hardware set that the os detects and uses.

when you download the vista trial (~1.6GB) its already a precongiured virtualPC file so all you have to do is run it. but after that you have to go through a setup alot like an OEM PC, that takes an hour or two. other than the setup, i can boot VPCvista about as fast as my host OS (XP-pro). its quite snappy really, so far i like :D.

here is a screenie of device manager and VPC emulated hardware:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/cha...t=untitled2.jpg

i may migrate to vista soon after this 1 month trial, more so i can get OEM home premium for $115 on the egg :D.

just keep in mind not to base performance and features within the VM to what it will really be like, because you are very limited by the nature of the VM itself. i have played around with vista native installs, and its much nicer than on the VM, but the VM lets you get a feel for the differences between it and XP.

Good point.

I usually use VM just to test if an ISO is bootable, stuff like that.

It just screwed up my keyboard on my laptop. Now I get funny characters. Something new to trace down ... it never ends. Total meltdown.:sad: It must have known I want a new laptop:cool:

Guest InFeKtioN

I am wondering if your Sound problem is resolved in the "new" installs ?

I've tried VirtualPC, VMWare and Virtual Box and VirtualBox was so much faster than the other two. I'm not sure why but it runs like it's running off of the RAM. When I run VMWare and VirtualPC my HDD never stops paging and it's dog slow.

You might checkout VirtualBox next time you load up a VM :)

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I am wondering if your Sound problem is resolved in the "new" installs ?

OK now it's getting down right confusing. I was referring to InFeKtioN's post.:P

momoceio, you are right, virtual box does seem faster, another program I didn't know existed. Thanks.

By the way, if one were to try installing XP in virtual and one chose the "format" option, would it do a virtual format and install the program?