Sign in to follow this  
charlie22911

no sound, no matter the audio card...

i have tried everything that i know shy of a reformat (which i REALLY dont want to do)...

my current card is an SB Audigy 2 ZS on winXP pro. when i click my user icon, i hear the first part of the "login tune", but as soon as the welcome screen goes off all sound dies. media player, windows sounds, even on other accounts. tried also on onboard karajin, SB Live 5.1 digital (EMU10k1), and an old ALS4000 pci. im not sure what the problem is... and its horrible :(.

ive thought of a virus, but outside of the sound issue every thing is great, no weird activities or internet activity, no unusual processes etc.

my specs are in my sig... any help would be awesome.

BTW, speakers are fully functional and still capable of knocking things off the walls...

Nasty problem. I'm sure you have searched ... I found several have it but no fix.

Does it work in safe mode?

Edit: Here is one success. Ewido ... I think AVG bought it.

Look here under Where did my Sounds go? The page only works properly in IE for some reason. My Firefox won't open it completely. This guy makes some automated reg fixes I have used before.

Good luck.

Maybe a stupid suggestion, but since that particular sound-card has pretty good to excellent support in Linux, have you tried a Linux live-CD to make sure you don't deal with a hardware failure? Or you 100 % sure the card itself is fine?

@syngensmyth, first link goes to my ocdb entry :confused:... second link was helpful and lead me to think about my desperate solution (many thanks :D)... though it didn't open in my firefox either.

@KimTjik, i tried a live 64-bit ubuntu distro i have laying around, never thought about trying that though :P.

the soultion was me getting desperate, acting on a whim, and enabling "reset ESCD data" in the PCI configuration page of the bios, rebooted, and she works fine now :drool:.

why on earth would this come out of nowhere... weird to say the least :confused:.

anyways, thanks again for the replies, all better now :tooth:

@syngensmyth, first link goes to my ocdb entry :confused:...

Shows what interests me:):):) I was looking at your ocdb entry and linked by mistake.

the soultion was me getting desperate, acting on a whim, and enabling "reset ESCD data" in the PCI configuration page of the bios,

Wow: I have not idea what that is. ESCD link

I bet a reg fix or service enable would have done it also. Although if it is not set to reset I suppose it will not record any changes. Must be on as default.

thats what i don't get, why on earth would that fix it, i never changed any of my hardware, or even opened the case :confused:. just left it running (like always, 247) and the next morning no sound :drool:.

hope that don't happen again, bookmarked your link just in case though :D.

BTW, that OCDB could have been better, but was all i could work with considering my 450w PSU :(. the PSU handles the load fine, but any higher (like 3GHz 1.475v) and she starts straining :tooth:.

I thought it was a great OC, congrats.

You left a lot on auto. I am OCing the same CPU but gskill F1-4000 on Ultra-D now and found Auto worked well for a lot of settings. Of course I couldn't leave it alone so most is not auto anymore. Not sure if I am much better for all the work.

Only problem with "auto" for the OCDB, it doesn't really tell much.

Can anyone else not see syngensmyth's link in his sig? It should be for the egg right? I'm behind a proxy right now so it might just be me.

@syngensmyth, thx for the congrats :D. im sure i can get more, i mean, how much more voltage from 1.35v would i need for just 200MHz on a good PSU, bet its not much over 1.4v...

i have been meaning to manually set alot of that stuff, but have been way to lazy to touch it :dog:.

BTW, this F1 3200 i have overclocks like crap, my max is a blistering 214MHz on all voltages under 3v :sweat:.

@krazypoloc, his link is his picture of the newegg userbar (as is mine). if clicking his dont work, try mine, if mine dont work then IDK...

Guest InFeKtioN

Hey there Charlie ...

I had a similar incident with my SB Audigy 2 ..... Only I suddenly lost my surround sound. I still had sound though. I changed over to the OB audio and it worked fine. I thought that maybe my SB card went bad... It did not !It ended up being a driver issue. I have no idea how it got corrupt.

I tried for days to find the problem (Driver Cleaner) uninstall, reinstall ... nothing seemed to help.

Soo..... after a format and fresh WinXP install the SB card worked fine.

I know what you mean by not wanting to format and start over....

Here is an alternative to a reinstall that may be worth a try for you ....

Virtual Machine .... allows you to have more than one OS on your system, and you can run each instance within your main Win install.....

I use it to test new slipstream disks .... and when you are done, you can uninstall it just like any other program.

You can install a fresh copy of windows and see if your Audio works.

it loads up (windowed or full screen) just like your PC does.

Link

Good Luck

Guest InFeKtioN
@InFeKtioN, i have been looking for something like that, i could use that for sooo many things :tooth:. thanks man!

Let us know how it works out !