How to get sponsors for a custom case project?

radodrill

Does anyone here know how to get (or have experience in getting) sponsors for a custom case project?

I'm about to start a custom acrylic case project and it would be nice to get some sponsors so that I can also get some new hardware in the mix as well.

I'd really like to be able to go with an 8800 series GFX card and a C2D or C2Q setup as well.

Why would you need a 8800GTX or C2D or C2Q when you are designing a case?

Unless your really designing something that does not conform to the standard ATX or mATX form factor just about any ATX motherboard will suffice for measuring mounting holes as well as any PCI, PCIe or AGP card for measuring slot expansion slot mounting.

Also, do you have any technical drawings (i.e. AutoCAD) of the chassis? That would be a good start.

Why would you need a 8800GTX or C2D or C2Q when you are designing a case?

Unless your really designing something that does not conform to the standard ATX or mATX form factor just about any ATX motherboard will suffice for measuring mounting holes as well as any PCI, PCIe or AGP card for measuring slot expansion slot mounting.

Also, do you have any technical drawings (i.e. AutoCAD) of the chassis? That would be a good start.

Designing a new case because my current case isn't big enough; mostly limited be depth and very few cases are more than my current 18" deep. Size is an important factor for me since I've started H2O cooling and it's gotten hard for me to get access for changing hardware in the current configuration (especially the 3.5" drive cages).

I'd like to get a performance upgrade as well; but am tight on cash (currently an engineering grad student)

Gonna start modeling the chassis. Probably going to use Pro/E, Inventor or Sketchup; have to try Sketchup and inventor first, took a class in Pro/E this summer. Any preference on modeling programs?

Excuse me for being quite direct but I need clarification on a few points you made.

Designing a new case because my current case isn't big enough; mostly limited be depth and very few cases are more than my current 18" deep. Size is an important factor for me since I've started H2O cooling and it's gotten hard for me to get access for changing hardware in the current configuration (especially the 3.5" drive cages).

This is a case where inginuity and research comes into play.

Many of the manufacturer's of 8800GTX graphics cards have dimensions published on their websites. You can use these measures to determine the space needed to between each section of the chassis you have in-mind.

I'd like to get a performance upgrade as well; but am tight on cash (currently an engineering grad student)

The way I am reading this (correct me if I am wrong) you want to get a "performance upgrade" to your current system but can't afford it due to the current financial condition you are in (school and such).

So, you are setting out to make a custom case and hope to get an upgrade to your system via donations from various companies. Am I proper in my analysis?

Gonna start modeling the chassis. Probably going to use Pro/E, Inventor or Sketchup; have to try Sketchup and inventor first, took a class in Pro/E this summer. Any preference on modeling programs?

I can only suggest making your drawing, no matter what program you use, as detailed as possible.

Excuse me for being quite direct but I need clarification on a few points you made.

No Problem at all.

This is a case where inginuity and research comes into play.

Many of the manufacturer's of 8800GTX graphics cards have dimensions published on their websites. You can use these measures to determine the space needed to between each section of the chassis you have in-mind.

Certainly a good point to keep in mind. I haven't quite finalized my design but I do want to leave plenty of room for just about any hardware available in addition to a H2O loop.

The way I am reading this (correct me if I am wrong) you want to get a "performance upgrade" to your current system but can't afford it due to the current financial condition you are in (school and such).

So, you are setting out to make a custom case and hope to get an upgrade to your system via donations from various companies. Am I proper in my analysis?

Correct; except that the reason I'm starting/designing a custom case is my current case isn't completely practical for my needs. I had to go with 80mm based RADs since there's no room for 120mm ones, hardly any room between the MB and HDD cages (have to remove the GFX card to have good access to them), etc.

Edit: In other words; I'm in the process of constructing a case to fit my needs and while I'm at it would like to upgrade the system as well, but since I can't afford to buy new hardware I'd like to find sponsors to help out with that.

I can only suggest making your drawing, no matter what program you use, as detailed as possible.

Yep; detailed, well dimensioned designs, make the construction phase a lot easier

pencil and paper. htahaha kakakak

the prisma markers. kakaka

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread

Does anyone have any contacts with hardware manufactures; who might be able to provide some of the necessary components (I already have DangerDen, A.C.Ryan, and Petra's Tech Shop sponsoring the watercooling and case gear). The links to my worklogs for the case in question are below (my worklog here on the street is also linked in my sig).

http://diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79331

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=136785

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152684