DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Problem :(

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum so you'll have to bear with me a bit

Basically I Have a;

Lanparty SLI-DR,

1gig of OCZ platinum Pc4200 DDR,

Athlon 64 3200 (Winchester) (upgrading to 3700 San-Diego)

6600GT

Know its a fairly old machine but have been having problems Since I have had the PC really and have decided to get it sorted now as newer games are slowin a bit...

Basically, I'm really struggling with my memory timings and clocks...

At the minute, my Clocks wont go above the stock 200mhz mem with a 10X multiplier giving me a crappy 2ghz clock.

That is with 2-2-2-8 Timings... It just crashes in windows, gives me blue screens of death or doesn't post..

So I assume its the memory timings...

But when I adjust my timings and relax them to say; 2.5-3-3-8 I get crashes and non posts etc.

I thought It might be the memory at first but RMA'd it and had exactly the same problems..... Then noticed the chipset was running hot and my fan was whining so changed that to an evercool VC-RE which has lowered the temperature and stopped CSS crashing...

So maybe its the CPU?? I've just ordered a 4700 San diego core'd athlon that I hear has a better memory controller So hopefully that will help but....

Can anyone give me some stable settings that I can tweak for my current setup and for my new processer please???

Have updated My Mobo Bios to the latest revision... + all bits are running cool.

Cheers in advance guys!

Okay,

Managed to relax my timings to 2-3-3-8 but whenever I changed the Cas Latency to 2.5 the system crashed at boot.

With these settings I have managed to incrimentally get my FSB to 240 with a 10X multi giving me 2.4ghz... And this runs very stably with low 36 degrees temp under load... So not a temperature problem...

:sweat: Getting really frustrated guys!!! Think I need to RMA my board or ram???

Yeah I don't think your missing anything? Or maybe we both are? If you are at your preferred overclocking speed then its time to tighten your timings. If your trying to go higher then keep your timings lose till you can settle on an ideal/max OC. Then tighten. :)

Those sticks are supposed to be able to run 262.5 MHz 1T 2.5-3-3-8 @ 2.75v. It would help if you post your advanced DRAM timings. Which bios did you flash too?

I believe those chips are either Samsung TCCD or Hynix B. If they are the TCCD they might actually run better at lower voltages like 2.6-2.7v, I don't know about the Hynix chips.

You should try searching for your memory in the stock speed database, somebody might have those entered.

Yeah, you are missing something.... I'm sure I will get the best clock/timing combo at cl 2.5...... Not happy with 2.4ghz and crappy timings or 2ghz and tight timings! :confused:

And surely if I cant use CL 2.5 then something is wrong with some of my hardware!!!??

Even with Lax timings I cant get my clock above 240.....

Hmmmmm, should get my new CPU in the post tomorrow so I'll stick it in and see what happens....

Thanks for the help ReelFiles.. Already tried my stock timings, but stock is Cl 2.5. lol.

Most of the winchesters I played with were pretty weak overclocking chips. I pushed mine hard to get 2475 out of it. Might try dropping a divider on the ram and worry about getting it higher later on. My 3200 took quite abit of volts to even get to 2400 and keep the ram stable.