8800gts sli'd on nf4 sli-dr

Hi,

One of my 7800's has just gone up in smoke.:sad:

I'm torn between just picking up another 7800 and waiting til they don't cut the mustard or getting a couple of 8800gts's.

my mobo's pci-e lanes will only run at 8x in sli and I read somewhere that that 8800's need 16x.

I've also read that the cards don't use anywhere near that amount of bandwidth so in the real world it makes little or no difference.

I looked at some pics and it looked like the cards used 2 sli bridges.

So I guess what I'm asking is will they work on my mobo and if so will they be significantly slower without the 2x16 pci-e lanes?

also if anyone has any thoughts on how the 8800's will fare with dx10. If they will be next to osolete very quickly or do as well as they do with dx9?

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

MTIA

Guest element

Do you have any real need for for SLI ?

I have some mates who have a 8800GTX for their 170 Opterons at 3GHz. I believe SLI at this stage for you or I is very unneeded. Spend the cash on a big screen and a GTX and enjoy.

If you look at some reports it shows a single GTX being about as good or better than a pair of GTS' anyways - and that's the 640MB version. At high resolution the GTX would spank a pair of 320s.

If you look at some reports it shows a single GTX being about as good or better than a pair of GTS' anyways - and that's the 640MB version. At high resolution the GTX would spank a pair of 320s.

Cheers good to know.

Can you point me in the direction of these reports as the ones I've read seem to disagree. It will be good to get a more balanced view.

MTIA

Cheers good to know.

Can you point me in the direction of these reports as the ones I've read seem to disagree. It will be good to get a more balanced view.

MTIA

Seems the ones I'm seeing now show the GTS Sli taking it in most things, the ones I'm referring to were done last year so Sli may have been immature. These are still the 640MB version though...I think running Sli on a pair of 320's is a serious waste of money. Anything you need Sli for will be at higher resolutions, and running with only 320MB of memory is going to limit you.

That said - you still don't need more than a GTX. And if you do, you need two GTX's. :angel:

Spose it comes down to the price. If you can find two GTS 640s for well under the price of a GTX, then it's worth it. Otherwise the increased power consumption and heat output will be unwanted.

• 2 weeks later...