Sign in to follow this  
Guest Modulok_merged

Should I upgrade?

Guest Modulok

Currently using the system in my sig. I have OC'd up to 2.9 but do not run that daily.

NewEgg has the following 939 CPUs for sale:

Opty 185 - $245

Opty 180 - $170

Opty 175 - $149

I do not think I would go for the 185 b/c of the high price for only stock 200mhz. But maybe on ebay I could pick one cheaper with a good stepping.

Please don't tell me to go AM2 or C2D because I am not upgrading whole system at this time. Just thinking of upgrading to dual core until maybe next year if I do a system overhaul and go AMD Quad.

Thanks

I'd personally go for the 175 on ebay if it's from a decent seller... you'll get a 3G OC from the 185 though... if you want to go for a GGG then get the 185... otherwise get the 175 (which still might hit GGG...)

edit: shoot, a 165 is cheap right now, and it's a GGGer with the right stepping... save as much as you can for your overhaul next year!

Guest Modulok

IDK, I am not sure I'd get a 1.8ghzx2 and hope it OCs around the 2.9-3.0 area.

NewEgg has the 165 for $99, but who knows which stepping I'd get.

I would get a 170, and not worry so much about 3G. I run my CPU at 2.75GHz and even if I bring it up to 2.95GHz I barely notice any difference. I keep it lower so that I don't have to spend endless hours tweaking my RAM.

If you game it won't gain you barely anything and even if you encode video you might save maybe a couple of minutes out for an hour of encoding... In my opinion save your money.

Guest anewb ie

I've been running an opty 165 @ 2.81ghz with the stock cooler for the past 4 months. You can get one new at the egg for $99 (not sure if current steppings are good). I could probably go as high as 3ghz - i didn't spend much time trying to fine tune it. Just picked some random numbers - ran prime95 x2 for 36 hours and decided this will work why bother messing around...

Personally I'm hanging on to my 3 single core Opties for at least another year then I may build at least 1 quad core rig - that is if AMD gets their . together.

Hell, I still have a brand new "in the box" ASRock NF4G-SATA2 micro ATX mobo, a Winchester and a Venus CPU plus a whole mess of DDR RAM collecting dust.

I figure that when I finally buy a new work van I'll put the ASRock board in a Ultra MicroFly Micro ATX case with a 12v PSU and a 17" Flat Panel monitor and use it for storing shop manuals, printing invoices and surfing the web for information as needed.

Here's a pair of twins I built for a yacht customer last year.

One is for navigation and needed additional serial ports (RS-232) so I used a SIIG PCIe card with 4 extra ports.

The other was for communications and had WiFi and satellite capabilities plus a 33' DVI cable connected to a widescreen TV in the main salon so that the owners could watch cable TV anywhere in the world from a sling box at their home.

PA103277.jpg

PA103299.jpg

NavSta2.jpg

NavSta6.jpg

Recently I did an emergency call on the 161 foot yacht LADY MICHELLE that was laid up with NAV issues. The owners were on their way from Europe to take possesion of the boat at the Beau Rivage Marina and the guys at the shipyard were baffled.

Without the NAV system up they weren't about to take the owner out using paper charts laid all over the pilothouse.

The systems had been running on internal power during sea trials and one of the last tests was to switch from internal to shore power and back. This is when the failure showed up.

Turns out that the touch-screen panels on the bridge could not support 640X480 resolution. When they lost power due to a faulty UPS the systems rebooted and were waiting at the login prompt. During testing they always had a second CRT on the bridge and could see the prompt then hit enter. Without that display they were baffled.

One of the guys ran back to the stores area and pulled a pop-up 7 inch LCD from stock and mounted it on the bridge. We rebooted the system and the LCD display popped up with the login. I'm happy to say that the boat made it to its new home port without incident.

Here's some pics of the LADY MICHELLE

Press Release...

http://www.trinityyachts.com/news06082007.asp

Bridge pic...

http://www.trinityyachts.com/T037/6.pdf

Complete info...

http://www.trinityyachts.com/T037.asp

BTW If you look at the list of Yachts on order you'll notice several boats with the same name. That's because some of these owners are going on their third or fourth Trinity yacht. They just keep upgrading as new designs come along. It's good to be the king!!!

Guest Modulok

hmm, I guess I had ADD when I posted that I wanted info on building PCs for yachts. :eek:

anyways, didn't win an opty 185 on ebay...so I think I will just get the 180 from Newegg for $170, unless I see something on ebay in the next few days.

Sorry.

I've recently been putting together some mobos I had lying around and got caught up in the moment.

Last week I resurrected a Soyo KT600+and with a 2600-M it runs everyday applications about as good as my A64 rigs which makes me wonder why I've been spending so much money upgrading every year.

The biggest improvement I've had in a long time is 2GB of RAM.

I can render a downloaded program or movie from DirecTV about 4x faster than I could with 1MB.

Thought about buying a 175 Denmark but I can't think of anything that I do that would benefit from it.

Maybe if I was using one machine to do multiple tasks .... but since I have 5 working rigs atm and use them all for specific tasks there's no reason for me to go dual core.

Guest Modulok

well I just got an Opty 185 for $180 on another forum. Can't complain when I would have bough the 180 from newegg @ $170.

Best of luck Modulok.

Please post your impressions when you install the new CPU.

Sign in to follow this