Sign in to follow this  
combat squirrel

Does the DFI LANPARTY UT NF680i LT support Penryn?

As thread title, iv just had a Gigabyte p35c-ds3r mainboard and it was dire, so iv send it back.

I had a DFI board previously and its awesome and want another, however does the DFI LANPARTY UT NF680i LT support penryn 45nm processors ? if so it would be the perfect mainboard. Also how is it with overclocking quad cores? As iv heard some 680 chipsets have trouble with quads, any pointers are greatly appreciated,

many thanks

CS

EDIT: Also ill be using OCZ 4gb (2x2) C5 'vista' ram kit, how does 680 LT handle this ram ? is it ok with it ?

I've seen reports that pre-production Penryn CPUs have been benched on 975X boards. That and tha fact that Penryn is based upon the Core 2 Architecture leads me to believe that it'll run on the 680i chipset (may need a BIOS update to unleash the full potential.

Most current Quads are 2 dual cores on a single die; making them a different beast in terms of OCing that native quads would be. Early 680i bioses weren't to good at OCing quads; but now DFI has a BIOS that's optimized for Quads and the Xtreme series CPUs.

Interesting, so the latest bios for this board supports all dual and quad ? what sort of fsb speeds are we seeing with quad cores on this ? Also is there any firm reports on it supporting penryn ? As i know 965 chipset wont, hence why p35 was released, im surprised 975x does, many thanks for feedback :)

The VRM requirements are different for the Penryn processors. At the time of release of pre-P35 chipset based boards the power requirements needed for Penryn was a guess more then anything else. The prudent thing to do at this point in time is to assume that no board will be 100% compatible unless the manufacturer specifically states so. Even then it would be wise to be cautious until production boards are actually seen running the retail processors.

Interesting, so the latest bios for this board supports all dual and quad ?

There are 2 versions of the BIOS; 1 for C2D and below, the other is optimized for C2Q and C2 Extreme.

Praz is right; until the Penryn processors hit the market, and MB vendors specify which products support it, we can't be totally certain which boards are compatible.