Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

General Septem

I've been having trouble with this game lately.

I hadn't played this game in a while until a few days ago, at which time I found myself unable to even start a game as it would freeze and shut down. I tried reinstalling the game, to no avail.

Rebooting seemed to solve the problem at first, as I was able to create a new game. But when I finished the Endar Spire level, it froze again trying to load Taris. I've never had this problem before, and I haven't patched since (the updates are still current).

I'm thinking reinstalling Windows XP is going to fix this problem and a slew of other sporadic issues I've had. It's long overdue. However, if anyone has any other ideas I'm open.

The other problem is that from time to time, after combat, I cannot move my character. Switching to another party member results in me being able to move him, and my character follows, but when I switch back I still can't move her. Saving the game, exiting, and reloading solves the issue. I've had this issue before, but it usually only lasts a few seconds.

It seems every time the game tries to load a new level, it encounters a problem and closes. Rebooting my system seems to fix that problem, until the next time it has to load a level and it freezes again. For instance, rebooting again and playing KotOR I found that Taris loaded, but I was only able to play up until right after you rescue Bastila and it froze again, while loading the apartment.

have you made sure you are updated to the latest directX? I know it sounds foolish, but this solves most game problems. It might not seem that loading a level would have anything to do with DX, but you never know.

Also check the release notes from drivers (especially vid drivers) to see if they have any specific issues with certain games, and of course try to google as well as hit Bioware's forum (I found numerous fixes for KOTOR2 and NWN2 in their forums). I also remember that back in the late 6.x CAT drivers for ATI that KOTOR (certain levels) would run like total crap.

have you made sure you are updated to the latest directX? I know it sounds foolish, but this solves most game problems. It might not seem that loading a level would have anything to do with DX, but you never know.

Also check the release notes from drivers (especially vid drivers) to see if they have any specific issues with certain games, and of course try to google as well as hit Bioware's forum (I found numerous fixes for KOTOR2 and NWN2 in their forums). I also remember that back in the late 6.x CAT drivers for ATI that KOTOR (certain levels) would run like total crap.

9.0c, right? I think I'm current as far as DX9 goes (I don't have Vista). I haven't changed any of the drivers since the last time I've played it, though.

I thought it might be my vid clock, but it seems RivaTuner has taken to not automatically overclocking when in 3D mode, so it at least appears to be running underclocked the whole time. Maybe if I just close Rivatuner altogether. Do you think this might be causing my problem?

Thanks for your help by the way. :nod:

i've had games crash with ati tool overclocking and such (never used riva tuner myself so can't answer that, but other oc gpu tools have caused problems)

update to latest DX anyway. Find the latest, newest game out on the market and run the dx updater that comes with it (all games have it).

GRAW2 is probably the newest game that has a dx update.

it probably isn't the problem, but do it anyway lol.

i've had games crash with ati tool overclocking and such (never used riva tuner myself so can't answer that, but other oc gpu tools have caused problems)

update to latest DX anyway. Find the latest, newest game out on the market and run the dx updater that comes with it (all games have it).

GRAW2 is probably the newest game that has a dx update.

it probably isn't the problem, but do it anyway lol.

My card is nVidia by the way. I'm sure you looked at my sig, but you mentioned ATI a couple times so I thought I'd clarify. XD

Is there any way I can update to the latest DX9 without buying a new game? I'm kind of broke right now. :(

ya i know your card is nvidia, i just mentioned that I've had trouble with ati's ati tool and oc'ing and gaming (I simply use coolbits to overclock my NV cards, but I've heard others talk about other oc tools that cause problems)

you can update dx by either going to ms's site and updating with the latest DirectX Redistributable or whatever, or just downloading the latest newest game demo like GRAW2 and using the DX update that comes with them.

General Septum, if you have never used ati tool grab it! IMO it is a must have for finding your max oc for video card.

Hope the DX update works for ya.

You can goto START/RUN then type in "dxdiag" with out the quotes and the directX Diagnostic Tool pops up

Then towards the bottom you will see your DirectX Version, the latest one will be DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

hope this helps.