Sign in to follow this  
kdog

Worth an upgrade to AMD 64 X2?

Currently running what is shown in my sig block. Would it be worth it (performance wise) to upgrade to an X2 chip from the 3500+ single core?

thanks guys. :)

I didn't realize the Ultra-D could support an Opteron processor.

You would definately see a difference in multi tasking. And even in some games you will see a difference. I'd say it is worth it especially if you are going to stick with 939 for a while.

Just outta curiosity what vid card do you have? I noticed that you don't have it listed in your sig.

Whoops, didn't realize it wasn't there. I'll update that. I'm using a XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6600.

Hmm, Opteron support seems a little sketchy. Maybe the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ might be a little safer.

Hmm, Opteron support seems a little sketchy. Maybe the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ might be a little safer.

Naah, they did not want a server chip being used on desktops so they never encouraged for us to use the Opty's on the desktop boards. They work perfectly fine, theyt still are the best chips by amd, the Opterons on a desktop mobo. But that X2 is also an excellent choice, I'v played with both before and the Opty just edges the X2 just a bit.

ok, so taking this a step further is there a write-up on recommended BIOS settings for an Opteron 165 (currently running 4/6/2006).

If I remember correctly, anything above 3/**/05 BIOS works with the Opty's. So yeah, you'd be safe with the 4/6/06/. But I hope you know that anytime you change cpu's or rams, for me even any hardware change on the board, I always perform a CMOS clear to clear up the bios and input the known working settings later.

Sign in to follow this