Can't boot into Bios

I was able to boot Windows with at 3gigs with a Opteron 165. I was trying to get it stable so I figured I would try 166 mhz 5/06 Dram ratio. As soon as I rebooted my power lead comes on which is normal but my Hd led comes on with constant allumination and all my fans where on at full speed, It just stays on and won't go into bios when I push delete,and Monitor will not come on. I try flashing the bios by using the jumper and try the safe mode jumper also and took out the battery and put it back in. Still wont boot into bios. I notice all 5 lights on the debug are on also. I took out everything from the motherboard, Cpu memory Ect. I tried another cpu also and it still does it. The only thing is I don't have any extra memory. I wandering if for some reaason the bios isn't Flashing or reseting. Is there something I'm not doing?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, if I ever have issues with my bios, I always leave the jumper off overnight. Seems to have worked every time. But if there are steps for a long clearing of the CMOS, I would like to see those myself.

Thx for the link :) I tried that before I went to bed let it sit for 8 hours and it still did it. I'm going to try for 24 hours. If my 3volt battery was bad on the motherboard would it cause the same thing? Thx :)

... If my 3volt battery was bad on the motherboard would it cause the same thing? Thx :)

I don't think so. Is this a new build or were you upgrading from single core to dual?

Are you using only 1 stick of RAM in the orange slot closest to the edge of the board? You should be.

Yes I upgraded from a single core had it booting to Windows at 333x9. It was failing tests So I figured I would try 166mhz 05/6. When I rebooted I couldn't get nothing to boot or Initialize, and The Hard drive Activity led would constatnly stay on like the power led does Along with all 5 debug leds on the bottom of my board. I was going to let that sit for total of 24 hours then see if it will boot. If that don 't work hopefully When I put a 3volt battery in will. I wouldn't think the board would be fried, I didn't have high voltages.I used the voltage I have always used with single core. And safe voltage for cpu.

It just gives you the audible beep codes. Doesn't hurt or help, on or off.

Do some searching on problems with upgrading on Ultra-D. I have seen this happen to others for some reason. Maybe not exactly the same but upgrade form single and no boot. I have never seen a true "fixed" result but I was not dealing with it so didn't track the threads.

The reason you are taking out your battery on the long CMOS clear is to remove all electrical current from your board so that the CMOS clears the BIOS information. I don't think there is any issue with your CMOS battery unless I missed something.

Unplug your PSU. Follow the 24 hour clear instructions to the letter.

If it boots finally, you do not want to "reload" any saved bios settings. Be sure you load optimized defaults and start over. You might even want to reflash it (asking for even more trouble I suppose).

Good luck, it's a bummer.

It is possible that some cable is bad or whatever so be sure you use minimal build when trying to boot. You may even want to go to the trouble of taking it out of the case and building it. I know it was working so you shouldn't have to but if all else fails. Something happened so you have to start all over from scratch.

Just a thought, you can buy a new bios chip from Tmod. I'm not saying to do it or that you need it, but it's a good thing to know.

Here is a thread having similar issues over on DFI Club. I don't think you will find it very useful but there may be something in it for you. Posting the question over there may not hurt. I use both forums for DFI questions.