58 and failing prime? I've pushed cpu's above 60 and not failed prime95 (AMD64 Winchester's). Might be settings. Thats still too hot for 24/7 use anyway...I'd be looking for better cooling my friend.

The MBM5 coretemp plugin doesn't work with an AMD64 cpu and vista...as far as I know it doesn't work with an AMD cpu period (yeah, even our mighty Opterons). I have compared temps b/n coretemp and MBM5 in real time, no differences that I've noticed, maybe 1 degree here or there, I've been sticking with coretemp b/c:

A) it works in vista (MBM5 is quirky to say the least)

B) it gives you the temperature of both cores

C) it now also defaults to the taskbar, which is what MBM5 does 95% for me anyway.

Don't upgrade to vista and start doing some serious overclocking, I did all the clocking on this rig in XP months before I switched. And I will revert back to XP when I push for 3G's this fall (if I even need to, 2.7 is pretty darn fast really)

For the anandtech heatsink tests, they kept the room between 68 and 72 degrees F for all tests, A/C, so I would guess that relative humidity was pretty low and consistent.

If you remove the IHS the stock HS won't touch the core and fry that baby. You need an aftermarket HS for IHS removal.

Sure you can, but only if you compensate the loss of ihs height by modding the retention block http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/dfi/nf4slidr/dfi8_new.jpg, cutting the legs off ~1,5mm

I've modded one retention block, used on naked Opty with the stock 4-pipe hsf

(sig is showing the stock hsf, now using Scythe Mine..but with same modded retention block)

• 2 weeks later...
Dang, I knew someone would ask where that came from. I lost track of it and was too lazy to look for the link. But I agree, most of the reviewers like the 120. I love the Big Typhoon, it is the quietest of any I have used, but I'm always looking over the fence at that grass ... it looks so green:)

It was not such a big deal in the past, just unclip and install a new HS. Now you have to take the motherboard out and bolt the darn things on. I'd like to get it right the first time.:eek2:

Agreed I removed mine Im water cooled however it only dropped temp for me 1* or 2*

The MBM5 coretemp plugin doesn't work with an AMD64 cpu

You are correct it does not work.

(Also, Do not attempt to use the MBM5 Update 3 with the DFI NF4 boards.)

Sorry for late reply I've been working alot of hours. Seems like I had my Voltage to 1.4 but I was getting high temp it would get to like 58 degrees then fail prime 95 .

Only 1.4 volts and hitting those temps?

Are you using the stock thermal pad that came on your heatsink, or are you using AS5?