Sign in to follow this  
ericgcollyer

Plasma vs. LCD?

Guest Gir
Umm...DLP bulbs are rated for 8,000 hours at most and usually burn out around 4-5,000 hours...there is no such thing as a 80,000 hour DLP bulb. Samsung just came out with a LED light engine DLP that has a life of 20,000 hours. So...you pay a lower price up front but the cost comes back eventually in the price of bulbs.

It was way past my bedtime when i typed that sorry.

DirecTV is even launching a satellite that will broadcast over 150 channels in 1080p resolution by the end of this year (or at least they claimed that this would be happening...)
DirecTV HD is 720p or 1080i - not 1080p.

Here's some of DirecTV's HD linup for this Fall.

A&E

National Geographic

Bravo

NFL Network

Cartoon Network

SciFi Channel

CNN

Speed

Food Network

TBS

Big Ten Network

The History Channel

HGTV

The Weather Channel

MTV

USA Network

Disney Channel

Versus HD

Toon Disney

TLC

ABC Family

Animal Planet

ESPNNEWS HD

The Science Channel

Starz E/W feeds

Discovery Channel

Starz Edge

The Tennis Channel

Starz Comedy

Showtime West

Starz Kids & Family

The Movie Channel

CNBC

Chiller

Plasma has better picture quality and NO ONE CAN ARGUE THAT FACT, I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE.

really?

is that so?

I happen to disagree after watching a $6000 56" plasma right next to the 56" Samsung DLP ($1600)

we tested it watching 1080i (Discovery HD), 720p (NHL HD), and 480i/p (standard satellite), as well as playing Xbox360 at 1080i, 720p on both. The Samsung DLP blew away every single plasma in the store, as well as all the LCD's.

The ghosting was still slight, and burn-in is still a problem on Plasma (not NEARLY as much as it used to be).

LCD's look good, much much better than before when viewing non-PC related things (like tv).

To say such a thing, especially in all-caps, is nothing but an opinion. Not a fact. Be careful about mixing the two up or you'll sound like the American president.

DirecTV HD is 720p or 1080i - not 1080p.

Here's some of DirecTV's HD linup for this Fall.

A&E

National Geographic

Bravo

NFL Network

Cartoon Network

SciFi Channel

CNN

Speed

Food Network

TBS

Big Ten Network

The History Channel

HGTV

The Weather Channel

MTV

USA Network

Disney Channel

Versus HD

Toon Disney

TLC

ABC Family

Animal Planet

ESPNNEWS HD

The Science Channel

Starz E/W feeds

Discovery Channel

Starz Edge

The Tennis Channel

Starz Comedy

Showtime West

Starz Kids & Family

The Movie Channel

CNBC

Chiller

we just called DirecTV to have them move our dishes to the new house and we asked them when those 150 new HD channels are supposed to be here, and they claimed by about October as they just sent up two satellites this year, and they should be coming online anytime after August.

Halstead Communications leaves me about 4 messages a week about getting a broadband filter since they expect the new satellites to be online in Sept.

I called them 2 weeks ago and asked why they didn't give me one in December when they switched my dish if they knew I would need one.

Then I asked if they could just send me one and the guy said that someone would contact me.

Still waiting and still getting those phone messages.

Think I'll call them again tomorrow.

No Travis, I have Verizon DSL but the message says that I need to have a broadband converter - didn't mean to say filter.

Not sure what that's all about.

I have been researching this for years, both for myself, and for work, and I think I have some good advice, and observations.

First, however, let me tell you what I purchased and why. I walked into Fry's about a month ago, and they had a Panasonic TH-58PX60U 58 inch Plasma on sale for 2199. That was one crazy low price, for what they were selling.

It was a 2006 model, no 1080P, but WOW, six months ago this thing was like 5500 bucks or so.

I had been researching this for a while, and this was one great deal, on one of the best Plasmas out there.

I decided that 1080p was not worth 1500-2000 dollars more at this time, so now I am PLEASED AS PUNCH to be the owner of a Panasonic 58 inch Plasma!

So for me, for my living room (or as I call it, my messy Home Theater room!) I choose Plasma.

BUT, I will NEVER tell someone else that Plasma is better than LCD, or DLP or whatever. YOU have to make that decision.

Just fyi, for ME, a deciding factor between Plasma and LCD was the way that WATER looked, (ocean, lakes, waterfalls, etc). With the Plasmas, the water seemed to look real, whereas with the LCD's the water scenes seemed to look slightly dull. (Not to mention, that a 58 inch LCD is way more expensive than my 58 inch plasma.

So, here are some comments:

Some people LOVE one format over any other, so be aware of comments from these "biased" enthusiasts. Heck, even companies take sides. Panasonic recently had an article about how Plasma is better, and Sony countered with an article saying that LCD was better:

TECHNOLOGY; Forget L.C.D.; Go for Plasma, Says Maker of Both

New York Times

Now two years ago, I was one of those "Plasma is best" guys. Then I went to an industrial Audio Video show, and got to see both a Plasma and a LCD, same size, side by side, displaying the same PC content. Both had the same video connection, and I was shocked at what I saw. The LCD just BLEW away the Plasma for PC content. the LCD was bright, and vibrant, and crisp, and sharp, whereas the Plasma was weak and anemic by comparision.

So, take everyones advice, then decide for yourself. Camp out at Frys etc for hours if necessary, looking at the displays.

Now both Plasma camps and LCD camps are constantly improving, so any weakness on one side, is most probably being addressed.

LCD PROs - LCD is probably the better choice if:

-Your viewing room is bright or has lots of lights.

-Your main video source is PC or gaming

-You might have lots of static images

-You need 1080p

-your TV will be on all day every day

Plasma Pros - Plasma is probably a better choice if:

-Your main viewing source is TV-DVD

-You watch lots of sports

-Your viewing room is darker or less ambient light.

-You want a larger TV

I think that, in 2007, if you choose any high quality set, you would be very happy with either format.

I did read some comments that said, that with the prices coming down for both Plasma and LCD, the DLP camp might suffer an early death, unless they also lower their prices.

Now, some personal comments after setting up my Plasma:

Plasmas are HEAVY! My 58 in Plasma was over 100 lbs. Dont confuse thin with lightweight! While I do not have any first hand experience (except for my LCD PC monitors) I have heard that LCDs are much lighter than their Plasma counterparts.

Plasmas do get hot, or more accurately, warm.

Plasmas use more electricity than LCD's

Educate yourself, I spent a lot of time at AVSforum.com.

I thought I was 6 months to a year away from purchasing a widescreen TV when I walked into frys and found my baby!

Realise that 4-6 years from now, it will be a completely different ballgame.

My next purchase will probably be an LCD for my bedroom, just to let you know that I am not still a "plasma at all costs" guy. At work, I am going to purchase 5 LCD's and 3 Plasmas, and I have specific uses for each one.

Now I do have some final thoughts.

I am not "made of money", but I purchased three of these :

BELKIN F6C1500-TW-RK 1500VA 8 Outlets UPS

(One for my Plasma TV, one for the rest of my HT setup, and one for my PC)

and two of these:

ZeroSurge Surge Protector

One for my PC and one for my Home Theater setup.

Zerosurge is a completely different type of Surge Protector from almost ANY other type of surge protector. Go to the web site and read about it.

I have been hit by lightening once, in 1999, and it was not fun. My Home Owners insurance would have covered my loss, but I had a large deductible, and it was not worth it to put a claim in.

I also have comfort in knowing that I am suppling clean and constant power to my expensive A/V and PC equipment.

Good luck!

You are better off going into a local store looking at TV after TV and finding which looks best to your eyes. Not only do we all see color differently any set you see in a store can be adjusted to produce a better picture. Most televisions are set up using manufactures settings, leaving contrast, brightness, and color in general either far too bright or not bright enough.

You can purchase DVDs or download them to help calibrate a Plasma or LCD television to produce a better picture and to lengthen the life of the Television.

Really what it comes down to is Flat panel vs. Projection. If you want a flat panel and have a limited budget start looking at TVs in the size range and price you want. Generally speaking you can get more screen per $ with Plasma.

DLP is cheaper than both when considering screen size.

1080p is not a must have either. Do not limit yourself as you wont see the difference at screen sizes smaller than 46" and honestly wont notice the difference even then when viewing screens larger than 46". And not only is the difference between 720p and 1080p not all that great, you will need a form of HD media to truely view 1080p. Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will provide a picture that is HD natively. Standard DVDs scaled to HD resolutions is not the same thing and the picture quality is not nearly as good.

My suggestion. If your not viewing any HD media (ie. Blu-Ray, HD-DVD) go with a 720p TV and save some cash. Plasma or LCD well...Pick the Television you like best, but don't be afraid to get a remote and adjust the settings on the Television. You'd be surprised to see how nice some of the TVs might look after adjusting a few things.

Ok, I have made my decision (unless someone strongly suggests otherwise). All of the comments made here are stuff that I had already researched on my own, but I appreciate all those who spent the time answering my question.

I spent A LOT of time at my local circuit city and thought that I had made my decision (a 42" Hitachi Plasma for ) but I was wrong. I went to a local Frys and they were having a sale on TV's. I sat and talked with an intelligent salesperson for about 3 hours in the store, and I think that he was excited to talk to someone who was a little intelligent as well. Anyways, they were willing to MOVE the two TV's that I was looking at right next to each other to do a side by side comparison and I was really happy about that. My choice was between a 50" LG plasma and a 45" Sony LCD. The refresh rate on the LCD was 5ms, so I didn't think that ghosting would be an issue and it honestly just looked good. They were both receiving the same feed (HD) and there was a slight difference, but not something that I think I would notice unless they were right next to each other. I then switched to a DVD signal and the Plasma shined. I guess that it had a better up converter or something, but it looked really nice. When I switched to a regular SD over the air channel, the up converting technology became even more evident. I then spent the next 20 minutes fiddling with all the settings (brightness, contrast, color and what not) And I was presently surprised to find out that the LG had a day and a night setting that automatically changed based on a timer. Also the LG had a screen saver type thing. If the TV had been showing the same image for 15 minutes, a colored square (almost like a PIP screen, but with flowing colors instead of another TV feed) bounces around to prevent burn in. If burn in does occur, it has a program that displays the opposite image that is burned in, and the flashes varying color to expose the phosphorus equally and therefore removing the burn in. Anyways this 50" plasma was on sale for $1499 (An awesome price as well!) AND it comes with a built in 160 GB hard drive to use as a DVR. It looks really nice as well! Besides I have noticed that I tend to get used to the TV that I have, and since it preformed very well on the in store test, I am almost sure that I wont be disappointed.

Has anyone had any experience with LG? Good or bad brand?

The only thing I heard about LGs that I didn't like is when you watch video that is letterboxed, the bars are white instead of black and you can't change the color in the menu anywhere. This might not still be the case...might want to check that out.

What was the model # of the tv set?