Sign in to follow this  
Praz

Says ZDNet about Barcelona - "Blatant deceptive advertising"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=567

If a person agrees with the points made in this article is neither here nor there. When a company that has the reader base of ZDNet publishes something like this it's never a good thing. Others are sure to follow. Couple articles such as this with missed processor launch dates and a disappointing HD 2900 ( xtx where are you) AMD better be pulling a rabbit out of their hat soon.

Looks like we will still be able to get cheap AMD processors for awhile now. Perfect for building rigs for relatives and neighbors.

it doesn't surprise me

this is AMD back in the Pentium II vs K6-2 days. Intel kicked their butt handily back then, then the tables turned when the Athlon was superior to anything Intel could produce, for what...4 years? 5?

Tables always end up turning....more like musical chairs. One time AMD gets caught without a chair when the music stops. Another time Intel has no chair to sit in when the music stops.

I think AMD spent too much time and money to acquire ATI, but it may yet reap benefits. AMD will always try to be the top dog in the server market with their Opteron cpu's, but I have a feeling that AMD is more committed to integrated solutions for OEM's now (since they own the cpu and the gpu, they've got a much better chance at taking the "eMachines" market with OEM's like HP, Compaq, Gateway, Dell, TigerDirect, etc).

Competition is good though. Remember Intel? They went through this exact same thing when the Athlon64 put them in second place in performance, and Intel tried every single dirty trick in the book (and then some!) but in the end, after a few years, they finally got wise and realized marketing cannot make up for reality, and the reality was their cpu's were just not as good nor as efficient as the AMD cpu's, and worse, Opteron was claiming huge victories by stealing away lots of enterprise/server business from Intel.

When they finally got some wisdom, they did what needed to be done, and put engineering onto the task of making a cpu that would kick the crap out of AMD cpu's.

Well, they did. Just like AMD did when they realized their K6 cpu's were . compared to anything Intel could put out. They did the hard work and created a cpu that was better.

Now they just have to do it again. Intel will probably reign for another 2-5 years, then AMD will be back on top, etc.

the K6 was actually not bad, but they had dismal floating point units. since gaming back then hammered the FPU (among alot of other apps) many enthusiasts turned to the coveted pentiumII which had an awesome FPU. amd tried to make up for it by tacking on more cache in the form of its K6III and then a die shrink in the K6X+ series, which were great overclockers (i have seen 700MHz from one).

something that does bug me though is how some people hold "loyalties" to a certain company, i was talking to a guy that works for MTC thats a die hard InTeL fan because of the days of the 8088:drool:. a friend of mine i think said what i feel best, "i hold no loyalties to a company who holds none to me."

sorry for the rant, been a while since ive been forum hopping, little over excited i guess :D.

the K6 was actually not bad, but they had dismal floating point units. since gaming back then hammered the FPU (among alot of other apps) many enthusiasts turned to the coveted pentiumII which had an awesome FPU. amd tried to make up for it by tacking on more cache in the form of its K6III and then a die shrink in the K6X+ series, which were great overclockers (i have seen 700MHz from one).

something that does bug me though is how some people hold "loyalties" to a certain company, i was talking to a guy that works for MTC thats a die hard InTeL fan because of the days of the 8088:drool:. a friend of mine i think said what i feel best, "i hold no loyalties to a company who holds none to me."

sorry for the rant, been a while since ive been forum hopping, little over excited i guess :D.

I owned 3 K6-2's and a K6-3 and they were all piles of utter .. A Pentium II 300Mhz wiped the floor with even the K6-3 500 in ever situation, gaming and non-gaming. Even with Unreal and the 3dNow! optimizations, if I hadn't had a video card that was capable of Glide (Voodoo2), I would have been stuck playing really bad games like minesweeper and solitaire.

It was a terrible cpu in terms of performance. The only bright spot was that it was about 3x cheaper than the Pentium2 cpu's.

I have favorites when it comes to companies and hardware, but my favorites easily change to take in new, better products.

I still root and pull for AMD, because we always love to cheer for the 'little guy' or 'cinderella'.

I owned 3 K6-2's and a K6-3 and they were all piles of utter .. A Pentium II 300Mhz wiped the floor with even the K6-3 500 in ever situation, gaming and non-gaming. Even with Unreal and the 3dNow! optimizations, if I hadn't had a video card that was capable of Glide (Voodoo2), I would have been stuck playing really bad games like minesweeper and solitaire.

It was a terrible cpu in terms of performance. The only bright spot was that it was about 3x cheaper than the Pentium2 cpu's.

I have favorites when it comes to companies and hardware, but my favorites easily change to take in new, better products.

I still root and pull for AMD, because we always love to cheer for the 'little guy' or 'cinderella'.

never said they beat a PII (cause they didnt :D), but they weren't that bad.

here is something of mine i dug up just a sec ago, my K6-III+ @ 600MHz vs other K6's and a 600MHZ duron... LMAO @ results :sweat:, cant believe those results versus a modern quad core :drool:.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/cha...=Clipboard4.jpg

oh man, she overclocked like a dream, that wasn't my max, but i was limited to 100FSB and 6x multi. i eventually killed the mosfets on my PCChips M599LMR because it couldn't handle the current draw :(.

a disappointing HD 2900 ( xtx where are you) AMD better be pulling a rabbit out of their hat soon.

AMDs new drivers have done wonders for the HD2900XT...its on par with the GTX (2-4% worse) and the next driver release is supposed (i dunno) to do some kind of undervolting to lower power consumption and heat (but without losing performance? dunno oO)

It's on par with the GTS. Which is fine considering the price point. The only place where it competes with the GTX is 3dMark05. And 3d03 if you ignore the fact that probably 60% of the users cannot get the card to successfully complete that bench. In real life use at high resolutions and with eye candy enabled coming close to the GTX is a dream. And no driver is going to change that.

The 2900XT was never meant to compete with the 8800GTX. The media and review sites were responsible for that expectation. That slot was to be filled by the 2900XTX. This is where the 2900 series is a failure. Because of heat and power issues the XTX is on hold indefinitely. Since AMD is left with nothing to compete at the top of the chain they have just produced more spin. Claiming all along that the intent to compete with the GTX was to use the XT in Crossfire.

It's a bad situation all around. Because of the failure of the 2900 series, and it is a failure from a business standpoint, nVidia is left to continue dangling the carrot in front of us. nVidia has technology both physical and driver related that is still not available because the level of competition does not make it necessary.

since new drivers have been released there have been countless reviews stating that the 2900XT beats the 8800GTS 640...

Those are the same review sites that proclaimed the card was the GTX killer before it was released. The 2900 and the GTS are on pretty much equal footing. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem AMD faces is having a single product that can compete against the competition. The current generation product line is dominated by nVidia at all price/performance points with the exception of this card.