need a new board for my Opteron 170

SubZeroGTS

any recommendations? is there an Abit or Asus board that's as easy to overclock as my old DFI? or at least has these multipliers?

Those boards are a lot "easier" to OC than a DFI...but you don't have nearly the options (especially within the RAM timings) - and good luck on a higher FSB. I would go with a DFI Expert, personally. I have two of them - and they have been great. As a matter of fact, I have one that I just might let go. PM if you're interested :)

i have an expert, and i hate it. i bought two different GeForce 8800GTS cards that just would not work in it, though a 7800GTX works fine. i reset the CMOS the retarded way, had all 3 power connectors in the board, etc. etc.

and then the board died.

i'm thinking of going with an A8N32-SLI from Asus. i don't wanna risk getting a new Expert only to find out it still won't work, even new.

Guest LookBackX2

Heh, well I have one of those I would love to sell you, but too late.

There's a brand new Expert on eBay. Since this is new, is it guaranteed to work with any PCI-express video card I put in it for ths first time?

EDIT: nm, i bought the A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Nice board, as well. Better luck with it.

yay if i have 2 many problems with a dfi board on a particular setup i go asus if i ever build for someone other than me its always asus

Funny, I feel the same way. Asus, to me, is kinda like "safe 'n sane" fireworks - where DFI is a little more on the wild side (Abit too...when they get around to bios updates...) Less ways to screw things up in an Asus, but smaller rewards, if you're one of those guys willing to read a lot of OC guides, put in the time tweaking and failing (LOL)...and then finding that the bios is pretty basic. There is something to be said for the safe choice, though :) Just not for me ;)

"safe 'n sane" fireworks

ha the damm sparklers got 1/2 my hand burned off yesterday lol (thay went off like a flash bomb)

but yay i have rarely had any problems with asus ... i just cant use asus with my rig all of what i got in it 2 not use a dfi just would not be fare

i never really trusted the expert's cpu temperature sensor either so i'm curious what readings teh asus will give me at 2.6GHz/1.45v for this Opteron

what kind of memory dividers does it (the asus) have? i just need 1:1 for 2.6ghz