Sign in to follow this  
Thraxz

Network Gurus needed: I'm helpless

Heh...I had a WRT54G setup at work running the DD-WRT firmware and I was getting a signal a few hundred feet away through about 4 brick walls and a lot of steel.

what power? mine has to go through ~4 walls from the back room to get outside. im wondering since this house is older, if it has that wire mesh in the walls that wreaks havoc with high frequency wireless (faraday cage anyone?)... or maybe local interference... IDK.

here is what i got:

power settings-

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/cha...current=wrt.jpg

signal strength at router-

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/cha...urrent=wrt2.jpg

something don't seem right does it?

:(

BTW, my ICSFile Server is "server2", im on the other side of the house from my sis (marti)

Thats because the DD-WRT firmware allows you to tweak the transmission voltages, which can do wonders for your signal strength. Especially if you have decibel boosting antennas.

WEP actually sucks donkey balls.

I schooled AG good!!! lol Like he quoted. If you need that much security don't use wireless.

I'll give you 10 minutes to crack any 10 digit WEP key. If you can, I'll give you a Quarter.

But since you'll need several hundred dollars worth of hardware and computers you'll still lose.

Here's some required reading for anyone interested in the details.

Part 1

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24244/98/

Part 2

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24242/98/

Sure WEP is easy to crack but who cares?!?! The whole idea for the average user is to keep the neighborhood or drive-by user from glomming onto your network to leach bandwidth.

A 10 digit WEP key is more than enough especially if you change the SSID to something besides the default and the default configuration password for the router. A 26 digit WEP key will take even the most hardcore hacker way too much time to make it worthwhile. They'll just move on to another easier target.

Additionally, I change the signal channel from the default of 6 to minimize crosstalk in the wireless signal.

Thats because the DD-WRT firmware allows you to tweak the transmission voltages, which can do wonders for your signal strength. Especially if you have decibel boosting antennas.

too bad it does nothing really useful if you cant boost transmit power client side :(.

WEP actually sucks donkey balls. I won't use anything less then WPA. If you do disable WEP then make sure you at least use MAC filtering...which is actually probably more secure then WEP.

That's exactly what I've done; MAC filters rule.

No actually Radius rules, technically. :)

:eek: For a large network maybe...but who wants to go through all the trouble for home

all my main computers are hard wired with the cables running under the house up to wall sockets(i own my own house so i can punch holes where ever i like) the wireless is only for the missis to do surfing and work(not important stuff) from the back yard i allways go buy the advise of my dad and that is DON'T TRUST NO ONE

I am for disabling WEP. When my net goes down, I can always count on the fact that some assclown(infact, everyone on this floor with the internet.. verizon router comes with wireless on, wep disabled by default :D) has no security.

Use WPA instead of WEP. There are WEP crackers that work pretty well, but cracking WPA is, at the moment, impossible, or reserved for the government. This is a bit out of what I know about, if someone tries to secure their net who am I to stomp all over it.

This has been resolved with the best little program ever written.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

Apparently the adware my mom removed from her computer killed the networking. This fixed it in 30 seconds. I was so SO happy.

I'm with you there, Angry, F^&* wireless. If I can humanly avoid it, I will never work on another wireless router in my life.

EDIT: It's not a laptop that's having the problem however it is a Toshiba something or other.

Another thing to try in situations like this is going to Start->Run->cmd, and typing in "netsh int ip reset insertnamehere.txt" (without quotes, the text file is a log that is put in C:), wait a few seconds, then reboot. This completely resets Windows's TCP/IP stack back to default/fresh install settings. I've gotten a few computers up and running again using that command.

As for wireless, yes, it is a pain in the butt. I use WPA2-PSK on my network, and it still hits about 2.5 MB/sec. If I need to do a big file transfer, I either wire the PC up with CAT5 or FireWire, or use my 4 GB USB flash drive. I don't use MAC address filtering as someone could easily sniff packets flying around, pull the MAC address from them, and clone the address. Then again, I suppose they would have to wait until that NIC goes offline otherwise there would be a conflict :P.