Sign in to follow this  
Thasp

Would my setup make it worth getting into gaming

I used to use powerstrip with ATI cards because the drivers were garbage with setting custom resolutions and set 1824x1020, which fit. Now i use 1808x1016 to prevent overscan. When I watch TV(which is the main purpose of this television as a monitor), I set the exact resolution to the show I am watching so each pixel from the video gets a pixel on the screen without resizing.

I use the nvidia control panel and tell it I am using a TV. The weird thing with stuff like WC3.. is, it'll use the whole screen even if I set 1024x768, but still overscan. This blows my mind. This means the TV is outputting 720p, and taking the 1024x768, blowing it up to 720p and letting it overscan.. so not only do I get the . of it being expanded from a low res, but I also don't get to see if I have any mana left.

I think I might just get an LCD after selling some stuff around here for games and leave this nonsense behind.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

I already have a 7800GT. Why upgrade to the same card? :P

I was implying SLI.

About your overscan issues. There is a feature I used to use when I had my PC hooked to my 65" H/T TV. Its called Nvidia Keystone. I don't know if you have tried it yet, but it always worked well for me.

im just wondering as to why u dont use a real monitor with ur htpc setup. They look so much better than tv's. Unless you like the size, like bigger than 24"??

dzafdsgv8.jpg

centeredjk7.jpg

Sometimes the drivers are a pain and it doesn't work or goes into interlaced mode.

You have to be using DVI or HDMI to do this.

im just wondering as to why u dont use a real monitor with ur htpc setup. They look so much better than tv's. Unless you like the size, like bigger than 24"??

Uhh.. no they don't? Watching HDTV on a 20" Dell 2005fpw sucks compared to a 50" Sony A2000. It works as a computer monitor pretty well, too. :)

Uhh.. no they don't? Watching HDTV on a 20" Dell 2005fpw sucks compared to a 50" Sony A2000. It works as a computer monitor pretty well, too. :)

heh very true

I've watched HD and regular tv on all kinds of monitors and nothing compares to a "real" television (like my 42" Mitsubishi 1080i and especially my brother's new Samsung 56" DLP 1080p)

they don't work as great as a pc monitor though (no tv I've ever seen does), but I don't have a monitor acting as a tv and a tv acting as a monitor so I'm happy