Sign in to follow this  
Hotshot

Will cooling down a computer make it faster?

*sigh*

this is why i don't chase customers anymore

when they buy elsewhere though and want me to help them, I tell them $50/hour to fix/upgrade (minimum $50 charge even for 5 minutes worth of work), $125/hour for networking help.

lots of friends and family hate me now, but they don't seem to understand that they wasted my time (usually a couple of hours) asking me all kinds of questions and putting a rig together at newegg only to go to walmart/bestbuy and get something that is the exact opposite of what I told them to get from me (and costs about the same).

I'm very rude to these people and I won't apologize for it.

You know you make a very valid point, that 's gonna help me not feel bad anymore when I charge so much. I hate when they do that.

I shopped laptops for my boss a few months ago, and he still went with something besides what I suggested. He ended up getting a 15" screen vs a 17", 512MB RAM vs 1GB a 80GB hard drive vs the 120Gb the one I picked had. All for $275 more, and Dell's lovely 'self-help' warranty, which is basically fix it yourself and don't send it to us unless you absolutely can't fix it yourself... I mean WTF is that??? Dell has 60 year old ladies troubleshooting their own laptops???

!$#%@%@ Dell.... Ok, I am done venting.

Oh yeah, and no it won't go faster.

on the 0°K superconductin bit, i have very limited knowladge on this sort of thing from the reading i do... but here is my theory, feel free to correct me where i may be wrong:

0°K is absolute zero, which is defined as the point that all energy is removed from matter. near that point all sorts of weird thigs begin to happen, like the formation of metalic hydrogen, supersolids, superfluids, and biose-einstein condensates. at that point the atoms in the various materials would fall apart into elementry particles since no energy holds them together.

i don't know about you, but that doesn't sound too good to me...

When I put my laptop in the freezer, run 3DMark and then take it out I always get higher scores!!!

wahahahahahaha

(you mean when you put your laptop outside)

Cooling it down will only make it more stable.It won't get you warp speeds.The cables are able to tranfr much higher speed than what they transfer now but the bottlenecks are the chips.

i gave up on telling anyone i build computers or can fix them its just a pain. thay always get the opisit of what i say to get i rember back in the day my friend who dose auto cad wanted a rig for it i tell him high end he gets a 300$ dell and goes its slow in auto cad fix it ...

and the fyew guys i know who do build omg never tell them u o/c tell me everything in the warnings about overclocking that ofcourse i dont know caz if i did i would not do it ... then thay tell me 2 put screens over every hole caz dust will kill it befor overclocking... i think i need new frinds

wahahahahahaha

(you mean when you put your laptop outside)

Haha, yes, for 9 months of the year!

My "freezer" is a hole dug in the ground down to the permafrost. Thats what I use during the summer months, lol.

you know....

since we have gotten way off topic but, some good reading info...

I would say I agree with A_G on the family and friends and with CPDMF on the I build PC but they buy from Wal-Mart thing....

I have built several computers for friends and family and have rather enjoyed it except for 1 PC that haunts me to this day...

I was being a generously nice guy...and I use generous very loosely...and I built my Dad and Step Monster a PC out of used Socket A parts I had laying around and only charged $100.00 for the labor of doing it...

To this day this is the only PC that comes back with a either no-booting OS or missing or corrupt files....It comes back 2-6 times a year for a full wipe and reload...all of which have been for free at about 4-6 hours of my time (luckily I can multi-task and do several PC's at the same time)

It all starts out with a clean OS and fully loaded drivers and all OS updates...then I send it out the door...I hear later.."All I did was reboot it" and all of a sudden it wont boot...on it's 20th trip back here I booted it with a diagnostic disk and found it was loaded FULL of "screensaver.exe" viruses....

I imediately pulled all power cords and what not and not even shutting it down grabbed the box and sent Dear Ole' Dad a packing and told him to learn how to fix it...I was pissed...21 times back with the same problem...

I also told him I would NO longer fix a PC with retarded people running it who contracted the same viruses everytime...STOP DOWNLOADING FREE SCREEN SAVERS...how frickin hard is that...

Well Dear Ole' DAD was sorts pissed at me and left mummbling...12hours later him and my little know not much brother got it going....that was 2 months ago...

Last week Dad calls and says I need to drop something off and does while I am at work...He drops his PC off again with a black screen condition and a lsass.exe failed to execute 0xc0000005 warning...So basically a no boot condidtion...

ran miniPE on it and found 6 viruses....4 screensaver.exe and 2 kernal viruses that seem to have made 800mb of hard drive space unreadable and unwriteable.....I ran drive diagnostics on it for 4 hours and the drive came back healthy in every case... so I wiped the drive clean and retested...Then dad reminds me of the wanted info on the drive....to bad I would have wiped it anyway...

Only PC in the 100's I have built that comes back...I wished I wouldnt have been so nice...stepmonster has been thru 6 PC's in 5years...if it can be crashed she can do it...;)

LOL Doc that's tough; I'm sure glad I've never had to deal with anything like that.

it still wouldn't make it go FASTER

it would just be superconducted (the hardware has to be told how fast to go, it isn't temperature-induced)

(that's for any nerds who will crash in claiming the same thing but with lots of chest-thumping like you just graduated from MIT)

Thump Thump. My comments were making fun of the previous posts at hand. It was written tongue in cheek, hope that helps.

In my experience people who don't care about the performance/price ratio of a custom built PC don't deserve my time or consultation in making it. These are the people who'll go "oh, well why even bother using a computer at all if it's this hard!1111" when you tell them "stop downloading garbage and use common sense." I hate that saying. If I said "why bother learning this if I can just do it that way" I'd still be listening to music on a boombox because I'm too much of a dumbass to pick out a stereo and plug more than one component in.