Sign in to follow this  
Praz

Creative + Vista = Pay For Drivers

I distrust Creative for other reasons. They did publicly promise to release Linux drivers for their X-Fi cards more than a year ago. Did they make that promise just sell some more X-Fi cards? Nothing has happened and they stubbornly refuse and even prevent the Alsa team to get a chance to make it happen. Sorry, but neither Vista neither Creative here!

I don't see a problem paying for an update that will allow my out-of-production, out-of-warranty Creative Audigy or Audigy 2 series sound card to work correctly in Vista.

For those who have an X-Fi product, the download is free. And you know what, it works! Too bad the rest of Vista doesn't work all that well.

Ace, im afraid i have to disagree, i see this as a move to try and force users to purchase their X-FI sound card. kinda like they are saying "either you buy our newest, overpriced sound card or we will charge you money to download software that will make our perfectly capable but older sound card work with your system even though we could have done so in the vista driver release."

its crap like this that makes perfectly honest people into software pirates. creative really needs some competition...

I place the blame fully on Microsoft for being so arrogant as to think everyone would be forced to rush into their beta OS called Vista.

It isn't working and it won't work until Vista gets fixed to where it works properly and can perform as good or better than XP. I estimate 3-5 years based on the fact that Microsoft has shown little interest in actually fixing the OS properly. Their only interest seems to be in promoting it and their idiotic Games For Windows Live nonsense.

Charlie: creative has some good competition, you just have to go look at the sound cards section of Newegg etc. Creative probably still makes the best gaming cards, but honestly, the new Oxygen chip that is in a lot of cards like Azuntech is pretty damn good.

I do agree that Cmedia's oxygen is good, i had a chance to play around with one not long ago. but a card is only as good as its DACs IMHO.

but as far as gaming, creative really has no competition unless other companies implement EAX in software...

I do agree that Cmedia's oxygen is good, i had a chance to play around with one not long ago. but a card is only as good as its DACs IMHO.

but as far as gaming, creative really has no competition unless other companies implement EAX in software...

you don't need EAX for a game to sound or perform good. I've got a Turtle Beach 5.1 that supports A3D and EAX just fine and it eats up about 400% less RAM to run with drivers...and I guess I'm just not a snob when it comes to gaming (though I am with music, and Azuntech and others are easily better than Creative for non-gaming audio).

THough I still purchase used AUdigy2 cards when I see them and can afford them....there's no better 'bang for the buck' in my opinion than a $30 Audigy2 ZS lol.

yeah, i love my audigy2 zs, just wish i could find a way to connect the dadgum thing to my front audio ports :mad:.

im not really an audiophile, though i love in game effects. helps me pinpoint where an ingame sound is coming from (or im just whack... probably am :drool:).

the thing i like about alot of the other high end card thats not by unCreative, is the fact you can swap out DACs if you wish. im actually thinking of getting one of those cards and put it in with my AUD2 ZS and have the ZS run in the other cards line-in. one for music, one for games, best of both worlds :D.

now take some of those nice 700W 5.1 creative speakers and a turtle beach, and you can screw with bats sonar if you wish, because the highend on those speakers are crazy...

I just swapped out for a new computer and it has vista...my Creative sound blaster live digital card does not work with it yet and from what I've heard, creative takes forever to get drivers out for their cards.......

Im waiting for the m-audio 2496 card drivers to come out ...they said it should be out soon.

As of now I'm stuck recording audio with the stock card........

having to pay to get those great features out of your sound card when switching to vista...now thats crazy