Train Accessories

justin131

This summer I am taking a train from Brandon, Manitoba to Vancouver, BC and its a solid 40 hours. Don't get me wrong, Im very excited because I have taken the bus on this trip before and it is a beautiful tour through the mountains but I was wondering (with the vast amount of experience that gathers here at the street) what I should take with me on the trip. Heres my list so far:

- iPod (80GB) loaded with movies

- iPod battery pack that takes AA's

- Lots of AA's

- $100 headphones (V-Moda Vibes)

- Munchies and Pop

- Book(s)

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Justin

P.S. Don't flame me because this is a stupid thread. Flaming is much more stupid and immature.

:edit: The title is supposed to be "Train Accessories" and not "Train Accessgories" as is states. D'Oh! :tooth:

That's pretty much what I did when I went to Germany for 10 days last summer (nonstop flights from San Fran to there and the other way around, ~10 hours each way I think, might have been 12...), although I didn't have an MP3 player at the time. I brought all of my CDs with me, a bunch of batteries, and a stack of magazines. It kept me occupied the whole time :P.

Travel accessories for long trips are a must for me because I get bored easily if i'm not doing anything. Like the guy before, i sometimes catch up on my magazines as well. Bad thing about them, if you take too much the weight can be an issue. Then again one trip I was trying to catch up on a year and half worth's of subscription on two diff mags. Sounded like a good idea to catch up on money already spent till I lugged those around.

Only other thing I can think of is a Game Boy Advance. Awesome battery life on a charge (thats the bad thing - no AAs) and it doesn't weigh much or take up too much space. MP3 player and GBA pretty much GTG after that.

Don't most trains, especially one that has that long of a route, have electrical outlets? Call ahead and check, maybe you can save yourself the hassle of packing all those batteries.

Yeah most Amtrak trains have electrical outlets and amtrak is the pits. I would bring the laptop, a laptop lock (so you can go to the can without worrying abpout your gear) and a camera. Books are a given, I usually try and start a big one at the start of the trip so I dont have to carry a backup.

Long train ride. I was just in Vancouver last weekend to visit family and the weekend before that was in Calgary for a Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) concert.

Why not spend your time talking to all the interesting people you can find on such a trip? I always find thats the best way to spend my time. I have an iPod but I never bring it on the plane for that reason. Maybe I just like to socialize too much for my own good lol.

Who knows you might get lucky as well. ;) Girls like adventure and there is something exciting about hooking up with strangers. I take it your young? Maybe its just cause I am 21 that I'm thinking like that. I guess its pretty rare for a 50+ year old to go hook up with some randoms on a long trip. Who knows though I bet some old timers are still James Bondin' it. Wahoo!

Don't let the good times and the good people pass you by!