the time has come

Why use the MCP655 and not the MCP355? The MCP355 has 2x the head. And what WB should I get for the NB? Also CPDMF mentioned a T line. Could some one please elaborate on this? T line where in the loop?

The MCP655 produces a much higher flowrate; in most PC applications you wouldn't need the extra head.

Many people don't WC the NB; but rather install better aftermarket heatsinks; especially since the looplock retention mechanism used for intel chipsets isn't very H2O friendly.

A T-line and/or Res should always be installed just ahead of the pump. This is to keep the pump flooded when filling. A T-line is simply a T in the main loop with one leg used for filling purposes. The reason CPDMF recommended it for a silent rig is that a Res can produce noise (especially when it's underfilled).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the DD-975X from danger den for the NB? It says it's for the badaxe but I am assuming it will work on the DFI infinity.

So it is recommended that a T line with a fill port is used instead of a reservoir on quiet systems? Does the reservoir actually make that much noise?

So far this is what I am thinking about:

MCP655 for a pump

A heater core with a shroud for the radiator.

2 really quiet fans. Something Like this http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-silent-w...-130mm-fan.html Will these fans cut the mustard?

Swiftech Apogee GTX

Either the Danger Den DD-975 or the swiftech MCW30 for the NB

I would like to go with a reservoir to help reduce air bubbles in the line but if a T line is really much quieter I will go with that. Still up in the air here.

How does this look?

P.S. I have the HR-05 on my NB right now and it works OK because I have a Tuniq Tower right next to it sucking air through it. But When I turn the TT down the HR-05 becomes much less effective. Because noise is a concern I am not going to put some whiny little fan on it. I just took the fan off of my video card and I am now living the life or Riley. The fan on that thing sounded like gerbals chewing an airplane to scrap while it's taking off.

When properly filled a RES doesn't make much noise.

The downside to many intel DFI boards is that they only have 2 loops for the chipset retention; while the intel boards have 4.

The downside to many intel DFI boards is that they only have 2 loops for the chipset retention; while the intel boards have 4.

Not a problem if done right. ;)

mcm2a.jpg

mcm1a.jpg

mcm2a.jpg

mcm1a.jpg

That's a great idea; why didn't I think of that ;)

Thanks for the pics. Now I'll finally be able to properly install my MCW-30.

mcm2a.jpg

mcm1a.jpg

nice Praz , i saw ure post on this over at dfi-club a while back & have been looking for sumthing good to use for the standoffs ever since. i dont live near to eney big hardware stores & its not the sort of thing i can seem to find online.

also @ Saint-f, ure kit looks good. what are u intending to use as fluid?

I'm thinking I'm going to use a 50/50 mixture of automotive coolant and distilled water. From the research I've done it seems that the coolant you can buy for a PC is overpriced and not much more effective than antifreeze. And it's not non conductive like they would lead you to believe.

I'm thinking I'm going to use a 50/50 mixture of automotive coolant and distilled water. From the research I've done it seems that the coolant you can buy for a PC is overpriced and not much more effective than antifreeze. And it's not non conductive like they would lead you to believe.

IMO you're better off with racing coolant rather than regular engine coolant. I'm probably going to switch to Pentosin (From Zerex) when I finish building my new case.

Why use the MCP655 and not the MCP355? The MCP355 has 2x the head. And what WB should I get for the NB? Also CPDMF mentioned a T line. Could some one please elaborate on this? T line where in the loop?

I can from personal experience with a highly restrictive loop, conclude that you'll not get any performance difference between the two except the 655 creates less heat and is a tad bit quieter... keep in mind I was using the 355 with the Petra top. at stock I think there wasn't a lot of difference either...

50/50 is overkill, and remember, water by itself is the best coolant (usable in a PC water-loop) so in reality a 5% zerex to 95% distilled water mixture will give you optimum cooling, but enough additive to get the benefits of the additive...