What happened to these genres?

marcopolo

Combat flight sims?

Fighting/martial arts games?

Platforms?

I have seen nothing (decent) new for years along these lines.

The new FPS / MMORPG look great but......I hanker after....

speedball and ......xenon.........and..............newzealand story

with swanky new graphics. What about IK+, surely this game needs to

be remade with 67,000,000,000 polygons and shader models coming

out of my arse. Dammit I am finding modern games so .....the same!!

Is it only me that feels this way?

Marco.

I feel the same way about todays games. They are too predictable, titles from the same Genre pretty much play the same, which makes gameplay somewhat boring. Graphics have gotten a lot better but gameplay has not changed much. It's been a long time since I bought a game that was worth playing after I finished it.

From what I seen lately they onlymakelike MMPORG and FPS games for PC's is becasue these are the ones that can be played on the web and form community.The other ninja stuff with planes and all are mainly available on consoles.

Combat flight sims?

Marco.

There are still a few out there. Falcon 4.0 became abandonware, but a group of enthusiasts updated it a bit, added campaigns and managed to get it released.

The worst part is that the development cost of games had killed off lots of the small sim houses that used to pump out the combat flight sims....they sorta hit their prime about, crap, 8-9 years ago...since then they have been kinda thin.

But they still are out there.

Polo.

flight sims:

MS combat simulator.

MS flight simulator 2004/ X

X-plane

Platform:

Tomb Raider Legends/Anniversary

Prince of Persia 1,2,3

(Would Valves Portal fall into platform/puzzler?)

Fighting:

Not my thing so no idea.

There aren't many unfortunately which is a shame as I used to be a die-hard flight sim bod when the Amiga was on it's high.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its becoming like the music or movie industry in a sea of crap you'll get one thats worth buying, thankfully there are loads of 15 year old guinea pigs out there just itching to buy them first lol

one of my favorite games ever was hell cats over the pacific... and old mac game ww2 flight sim... If I had a mac I would still be playing the game.... if a game developer could make money, they would be making more of them. But I'm guessing flight sims have died out because you need top of the line computers to run them, and a lot of people don't have the patience tos tick with them

• 2 weeks later...