To upgrade or not

godlyatheist

okay, since a lot of component have dropped in price, im thinking about upgrading

the only thing i use my rig for is gaming.

option 1:

change the 6800gs to x1950xt 256mb. cheap upgrade, i think it can give me 2x the framerates

option 2:

go c2d

mobo: not sure-p965(gigabye ds3), 975x(dfi), or 680i(evga)

cpu: probably 6420, 6600 cost too much

ram: the $70 crucial 2gb ddr800 cas4 kit looks good

video:x1950xt

i read many reviews that show new gpu being cpu bottlenecked so that's why im thinking about c2d. also, there aren't any dx10 games for a good time so i'll wait till next year to get dx10 card(when they are faster and cheaper).

i don do fanatic oc'ing, so that's not a major concern. besides, my parent don use AC so the temps get very high. i want to get another dfi but their prices are insane($280 for the 680i version!!!!!!!).

advices?

Almost every game released in the last year or two is GPU limited. Many "older" games can benefit to a CPU and GPU upgrade.

If I were buying today, I'd have to decide if I wanted to get some "future proof" protection by getting a DX10 card.

If you think you'll be buying a whole new rig in the next year the DX9 cards should be OK.

:)

Almost every game released in the last year or two is GPU limited. Many "older" games can benefit to a CPU and GPU upgrade.

If I were buying today, I'd have to decide if I wanted to get some "future proof" protection by getting a DX10 card.

If you think you'll be buying a whole new rig in the next year the DX9 cards should be OK.

Agree with this! If you are a gamer you need a future proof GPU! The future games like Crysis etc. will kill the ATI card you want to buy! :)