Whats The Point Of Removing The IHS?

I have some experience that supports most everything covered here. I have an old Clawhammer FX55 that on a given system was reaching 61C under P95-induced load. I removed the IHS, and noticed that the Thermal paste appeared to have an air bubble in it, and generally looked like a crappy job.

I cleaned things up, applied a grain-of-rice worth of AS5 on the top of the core, replaced the IHS, and reassembled the system. After a couple days, the P95-induced load temps were now 52C.

I removed the IHS, cleaned things again, applied the same amount of AS5 to the core, and reassembled the system yet again. After a couple of days, the load temps were now 50C.

Generally speaking, I'd say if your CPU runs at what seems like appropriate temps for the conditions it operates under, don't uncap it. If however you have one of those CPUs that obviously runs much hotter at a given voltage, speed, and using like cooling to others that post their results, then it may be a realistic option.

Since I am using a $100, socket -939 Opty 170, and replacing it is no big deal, I'd say that the warranty issue is a non-issue. However, if you have the latest bad-boy FX CPU, you might want to think twice.

I hope that helps someone. Thank you for your time.

that could be a better option for me, remove the IHS redo the TIM and then replace the IHS.

I dont really remember what the temps for my x2 4200 were but i know now when i have it OC'd up to 2.673ghz @ 1.42v its running around 29c @ idle with a small house fan directed at it lol when its under (heavy) load its around 42-45c

the processor isnt nearly as expensive as an FX is but it cost me about $200 when i bought it 6 or so months ago, i dont really want to pay that again id rather put it towards a new case...

yea the temp is pretty good when i have the house fan (now a smaller $8 fan that my mom bought for me lol) and/or the ac on. as for my heatsink ive been told that its a POS, any recommendations that are in the $30-40 range? I dont want to get a really nice one since I'll be switching to water cooling shortly.

Also I just remembered this, I was looking at everest earlier and changed it to display the temps of both cores instead of what i guess is the average. Core one was about 30 or 31 degrees and Core 2 was around 38 degrees, this was under barely any load. Are temp differences that great normal or is it possible that the TIM is bad on Core 2 or that there isnt enough of it on there?

Guest LookBackX2

It's common for there to be a temp difference between the cores.

So far Im 1 for 2 as I had a 2X4200 and removed heat spreader and I got really good result's about 5 to 7 C and ran it that way untill I remounted it and sold it to a buddy-[ who helped me put it back on ]. Then I just pulled one of a 2X4400 last week and broke it tightening down the heatsink and fan you have to modify to use. I just replaced it with a Opty-170 and so far I think im going to leave it alone. Anyway like I said im 1for2 so far,just have a replacement standing by when you try it. BA

i have a (possibly faulty) x2 3800 that i bought off of ebay before my current one and it was going crazy on me (the guy shipped it wrapped in tissue paper). since i have a new motherboard im going to test it out and see if it works ok, then ill try removing the IHS to see the temp differences. If I end up breaking it, its not a big problem.