Sign in to follow this  
brando56894

Whats The Point Of Removing The IHS?

I watched Angry's tutorial but I dont get the reason why you would want to remove it. can someone clue me in?? is it so that the processor will transfer heat to the heatsink better?

You may drop 2-4 degrees celsius at best removing the IHS.

Automatically voids your warranty for a minimal gain.

You may drop 2-4 degrees celsius at best removing the IHS.

Automatically voids your warranty for a minimal gain.

I lost 25C off of my cores (average of 20 and 30C for each core). Previous was 65/75C under an Ultra-120 at [email protected] (first thing I set, and was pretty unstable. after I saw load temps I didn't bother to check the maximum overclock.) I remounted it twice, then said screw it and took the IHS off - now at 45C on each core and stable at [email protected]

I'm thinking stability would have been at around 2.83GHz, 2.9 failed almost immediately too when I tried again.

wow, you must be a great clocker there.

It helped someone with 12 degrees.The reason was that when he removed the IHS he noticed that the thermo paste wasn't covering the entire core but it only had like 2 points.Maybe this is the reason his dropped that much or the IHS was not plain at all.

It mostly about getting the heat closer to the heatsink-waterblock. The extra layer of thermal paste can be inconsistant and acts as iinsultion. Same with the heat spreader. How much diffrence will it make? Depends on too many things and I couldn't say myself. Too many varibles to account for. But it is allways noticed. I myself went from an XP90 to a Storm Rev2. So how do I tell? Still I do it everytime anymore. It just seems to make sense to me.

So does crushing it with a sledge hammer.

The point I was trying to make is taking an IHS off a cpu voides the warranty.

For those who don't know.Removing the IHS might make your cooler not to touch the base.Also you might want to make a shim out of some foam so you don't crack your core.