Sign in to follow this  
AnUnknownSource

Contracting in the Air Force... Anyone?

Your basically going in the air force with an open contract and the service will place you where they need people. Don't get screwed, because once you give the oath that's it. Make sure to READ all the paper work you SIGN!!!!!! Talk to your recruiter and get want YOU WANT!

Your basically going in the air force with an open contract and the service will place you where they need people. Don't get screwed, because once you give the oath that's it. Make sure to READ all the paper work you SIGN!!!!!! Talk to your recruiter and get want YOU WANT!

Dude, i said before I'm going in Guaranteed in Contracting... where you got open contract from I don't know...

No, any time before you actually get to boot camp you can back out... they make you give the oath before you go to make you feel like you're 100% committed... you're not... there's no recourse if I decide I don't want to go now...

BUT I do know from other sources, that there's NO SUCH THING as a 100% guarantee... If something weird happens and there's not a contracting slot available for me (rarely happens to anyone with a guaranteed contract, but every once in a while...) I have to go through the job process again... It's not a case of "well, there's no contracting slot available, so you're now a cook" it's "we screwed up and there's no contracting slot, let's work out another job for you, give us your original list again and let's see what's available"

I'm not a moron, I'm not going in Open contract. I have read all the paperwork I signed. The only reason I'm not holding out for the job I wanted is that I could be waiting for a long time. I don't want to wait.

The only reason I'm not holding out for the job I wanted is that I could be waiting for a long time. I don't want to wait.

I was told last year that they were trying to merge a few career fields. Mainly 3C0X1, 3C0X2, 3C2X1, and maybe even 2E2X1s as well (I think those were the ones) but haven't heard anything lately. They said they were going to make them all 3D0's. And have like 3 or 4 different branches below that. Not sure if it's ever gonna happen though. Have you heard of any of this?

AUS, anybody that has read any of your posts knows you are far from being a moron. You are obviously intelligent, kind, and reasobable. But i fear you put too much trust in the government.

Our military in Iraq is very stretched out and stressed out.. Bush just upped their tours by another 3 months. And he puts in the reserves, who are not properly trained for that kind of task, and are very desperatly needed here at home.

I fear for you getting handed a rifle and canteen and a plane ticket to hell. I really do. You are well respected and liked by many here, and i hope you don't get screwed over and do get what you want. :)

The chances of being enlisted in the air force and ending up in Iraq are pretty slim man. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that it's pretty unlikely.

The Air Force sends people to Iraq just like the other branches but unless you are in Security Forces odds are you will be fairly safe. Or if your stationed in a comabt comm squad. then you could also end up in the field setting up deployable comm equipment.

I was told last year that they were trying to merge a few career fields. Mainly 3C0X1, 3C0X2, 3C2X1, and maybe even 2E2X1s as well (I think those were the ones) but haven't heard anything lately. They said they were going to make them all 3D0's. And have like 3 or 4 different branches below that. Not sure if it's ever gonna happen though. Have you heard of any of this?

They've been saying similar things for years, and they're telling my brother the same thing now... maybe they're finally getting around to it... it's a mess in some places the way things are run now, so maybe it's a damn good idea :-) Over the years, as new technologies were used by the AF, they just added another job title and brought people in to do that job, there's not a whole heck of a lot of coordination between this shop doing this part and that shop doing that part... the whole way things run needs a revamp to keep up...

AUS, anybody that has read any of your posts knows you are far from being a moron. You are obviously intelligent, kind, and reasobable. But i fear you put too much trust in the government.

Our military in Iraq is very stretched out and stressed out.. Bush just upped their tours by another 3 months. And he puts in the reserves, who are not properly trained for that kind of task, and are very desperatly needed here at home.

I fear for you getting handed a rifle and canteen and a plane ticket to hell. I really do. You are well respected and liked by many here, and i hope you don't get screwed over and do get what you want. :)

Thanks Jaz, I was replying to the post before that... guess I got a little heated :sweat: I'm not joining the army though, they're the ones that got extended 3 months. So I won't be patrolling Baghdad with an assault rifle just yet... could end up with convoy duty, but unlikely with my career field. If I did, I'd serve my duty and hope I came home to my wife. I know the possibilities I'm signing up for, and if God intends for me to do my part in Iraq, he'll put me there (yeah, I brought THAT guy into it :eek:) shoot, with elections coming up next year, and all the talks now, and the Iraqi's blaming their shortcomings on us, we'll be pulling out and leaving them to somewhat sort their own mess before too long (relatively speaking anyway...)

I don't put a lot of trust in our government, I put a lot of trust in myself though, not to let myself be walked on, I've taken a great deal of care in my enlistment (one reason it's taken a year to complete) much to the discomfort of the recruiter over here... I'm sure he'll be happy to get rid of me!

The Air Force sends people to Iraq just like the other branches but unless you are in Security Forces odds are you will be fairly safe. Or if your stationed in a comabt comm squad. then you could also end up in the field setting up deployable comm equipment.

That'd be pretty cool thing to do, I was originally thinking of Comsat or Satcom, whatever they call it, a friend did that in the AF and recommended it... he enjoyed it, they'd set some kind of radio or antenna up in the morning, play games all day on their laptops an break it down that afternoon... (not in Iraq though, he's talking about his normal duty station) but I wanted a desk job for a change, hence 3C3 or Contracting... I just hope if I get sent over there, I'll be needed for my job, and not get stuck in a convoy... that's like a craps shoot...

One way to solidify your MOS whatever the AF calls it or job, in layspeek is to demand that you get an assignment for your job's schooling before you sign up.

Yeah, that's what my contract reads... "I am guaranteed training and a first regular assignment in AFS 6C031, Contracting Apprentice..." that's the first line of my contract ;) I hear that if my tech school is already started before I finish basic, they have you do stupid stuff (painting fences and the like) for a few weeks until the next group starts... all 3 AF people I work with had that happen in the last 5 years, so I guess it's the current trend, lol

Yeah, that's what my contract reads... "I am guaranteed training and a first regular assignment in AFS 6C031, Contracting Apprentice..." that's the first line of my contract ;) I hear that if my tech school is already started before I finish basic, they have you do stupid stuff (painting fences and the like) for a few weeks until the next group starts... all 3 AF people I work with had that happen in the last 5 years, so I guess it's the current trend, lol

LOL I had to do that for like a week when I got to Keesler. But it was cool though because we just had to take old furnature and computers and stuff out of an old building they hadn't used for years.

I don't think it'll happen to me, my tech school is only a month, and it's right there at Lackland... so I basically get an extra month of basic... how fun, lol

My brotehr's tech was at Keesler, but he got stuck in a navy dorm, so noone gave a crap, his stuff didn't get inspected almost the entire time he was there cause the navy guys didn't care, lol

What AFSC is he? I was moved to the Navy/Marine building because ours was too full. Pretty much the same deal with inspections with us too. Out of sight out of mind lol