Trouble after upgrade to AMD dual core, please help

I upgraded my system from single core AMD 3700+ to an AMD Toledo X2 3800+ dual core and am having some trouble.

Prior to changing cpu I did a cmos clear, and uninstalled the cpu in OS (windows xp 32 bit SP2) prior to swapping cpu's, reset cmos again, both amber LED's were lit up prior to turning on, booted up into windows, installed AMD dual core driver and core optimizer and MS hotfix. Everything seems ok but then after powering down the system it wont boot back up. The bottom amber LED is lit but the one at the top near the dimm slots barely lights up after pressing the power button, maybe 50% brightness of its norm.

The system does nothing unless I unplug/plug the psu and switch it on /off several times, then I can get the system to boot up. This morning after being off all night it wouldnt boot up, had to do the psu unplug trick and several minutes of power button pressing and psu switching on/off I got it to boot.

Any ideas here? Do I need to change any bios settings or maybe reinstall OS? The psu is less than 1 month old. I didnt have any problems with my single core chip. Memory memtested fine in orange slots on test # 5 and 8 with single and dual core chips.

Since you changed your memory controller you will need to re-test your RAM all over again. Passing tests 5 and 8 are fine but nowhere close to proving stability.

You may need to go into Genie BIOS and tweak your timings regardless if you are at stock speeds or overclocked.

Ok I enabled memtest in bios and ran through the 10 tests without any errors. The pattern that I am seeing here is that the initial boot up after pugging in the psu and turning the psu switch on is fine, but when I power down then try to power up is when I have problems, i think some sort of cold boot bug ive been reading on the internet and this forum. IF I unplug the power supply for 10 seconds or greater then rehook up I can get a bright amber LED up near the DIMM slots and power up fine. I can repeat this almost everytime, and most of the time I cant power up unless I DO unplug the psu. Not sure what is going on, I tried different RAM, no RAM, 1 dimm vs 2 dimms, clearing CMOS multiple times, the short way, unhooking all my case fans + led panel readout fearing a shortage of power, playing with some settings in bios for RAM and cpu/chipset,LT, VDRAM voltage all to no avail. Im going to try a long cmos clear tonight and if that doesnt work may try re installing windows unless you folks have some other ideas. I do notice that when I power down the 4 red LED's flash very quickly right before shutting off, not sure if it did this before or if it means anything. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Check your settings for WOL and Wake on USB etc... or try pressing the power button or key combination on your keyboard when you're experiencing the no-boot problem. Next thing to try is holding the power button for more than 4 seconds after you shut down, then after a few seconds press the button again and let us know if anything happens.

Tried the power button and keyboard idea with no fix. I do think that after searching the internet I have the cold boot bug, need to take computer to a doctor hehe. I ordered an OCZ700watt psu as I read that this fixed it for one individual, although I am surprised that the PC&C 610watt wouldnt be enough, the difference between the 2 psu's is the amperage on the 3 volt rail is higher for OCZ, maybe thi will work. Anyway I can put the computer into standby mode from Windows and have no problem waking it up so if this new psu doent work i'll stick with using standby mode from now on as I dont want to RMA the board. Thanks for all the input, ill post next week after I insall the new psu to update if this fixes the problem.

I am also having the same problems creamaster,

i changed my opteron165, to one that ran faster, now i get the same symptoms as you

i suspect it because of the new memory controller as kingfisher says but i wonder if the last of the skt939 dual cores are slightly different

I only say this because my lcbqe 0712 idles pretty high @38 compared to my old one however using core temp shows 32

Swapping to a known good psu didnt change things :(