New to water - parts check if you`d be so kind

Hey Guys, been away for quite some time finishing off a degree, however, its finally done (yes, I actually made it to qualifying as a vet! scary) and as a little graduation present, its time for a new rig. I`m feeling pretty adventurous, so i`m going to go for water for the first time.

The rig is pretty much decided on, and just for reference it`ll be: Core2 6420, Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 CL 3 FlexXLC Edition, 1GB HD2900XT, hard drives from current rig, maybe get a SATA burner and banish IDE altogether. All this is gonna go in an Antec Titan case with a Trupower Trio 650 PSU.

The water bits are what I would like you guys to check out. This system is being built with budget in mind, while not making too many compromises. I`m not necessarily looking to break any overclock records, but a nice clock would be, err, nice. Here`s the proposed list:

Rad: Swiftech MCR220-QP http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custom...&cat=541&page=1

Pump: Swiftech mcp655 http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custom...&cat=537&page=1

CPU Block: EK Wave silver (can go to a TDX or D-tek Fuzion if you think its worth the extra cost) http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custom...&cat=666&page=1

GPU Block: Swiftech MCW60 or DD Maze 5 or D-tek Fuzion-GPU (any preference?) with probably zalman ramsinks

Reservoir: Intended to buy XSPC 150mm Reservoir, http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/custom...&cat=161&page=3 I like the look, and a little extra cooling of the water might be a benefit? But I would struggle to get that res to the highest point in the circuit (at least without adding lots more tubing), so maybe just a fill port is a better move?

Tubing: open to suggestions, i`ve heard 3/8ths is easier to work with than 1/2" ?? advice appreciated

i`ll find some nice 120mm fans and fittings as required

I wasn`t planning on getting water cooled RAM, but i`ve seen a great deal on the Flex, so i`m probably gonna go with that. As for cooling them i`m not sure about routing. I was planning on routing PUMP>CPU>GPU>RAD>PUMP, but with the ram in the loop it could go PUMP>RAM>CPU>GPU>RAD>PUMP, the only problem here is the RAM only has 1/4" barbs, so the tubing would go from 3/8th to 1/4" (via adapter) then from 1/4" to 3/8" to CPU. Wouldn`t this limit the flow to CPU? The other option is to flow PUMP>CPU>GPU>RAM>RAD>PUMP, this would lead to the 1/4" fittings being last in the chain before the radiator, not impeding the flow to any other components, but would require the tube length to be longer. Any ideas?

And for my noob question - do I need teflon tape, and if so what for?

Thanks guys.

Mr Stom.

CPU block - Apogee GT or the D-tek Fuzion. Both are about the same. Using identical installation methods the Fuzion may do a couple of degrees better.

GPU block - Swiftech MCW60. It's the best GPU block going at the moment. The D-tek is to restrictive.

teflon tape is to fill the minute gaps in the thread of your hose barbs to stop them from leaking, just wrap the tape in the same direction as the thread (clockwise)then screw the barb in some conections also use o rings.make sure the parts you get have the same thread as even teflon tape will not work if you get bsp(usually european hardware) and npt(mostly amerrican) mixed up.

heres an interesting read about flo rate and tube size

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=583284

CPU block - Apogee GT or the D-tek Fuzion. Both are about the same. Using identical installation methods the Fuzion may do a couple of degrees better.

GPU block - Swiftech MCW60. It's the best GPU block going at the moment. The D-tek is to restrictive.

Ditto; I prefer using 1/2" tubing because it's less restrictive than 3/8". With regards to the flex RAM; you'd be better off to use a Y and only run part of the H2O through the RAM.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Any opinions on the EK CPU block? Its a fair bit cheaper than the others and seems to be well rated, but I repect personal opinions from people in the know rather than certain review sites who might have vested interests.

And any opinions on the reservoir? Is it better to not have one at all, if its likely to be quite low in the loop?

Thanks for the link about tube size 3stars, I guess from that reading i`ll probably just go for 3/8ths. At least then there`ll be slightly less of a resistance when going to a Y split to 1/4" for the RAM. The Y split idea I like Radodrill, i`d just then have to decide at what point to feed it back in to the loop (before or after the CPU?).

And the Swiftech GPU block seems to be a no brainer.

Mr Stom

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Any opinions on the EK CPU block? Its a fair bit cheaper than the others and seems to be well rated, but I repect personal opinions from people in the know rather than certain review sites who might have vested interests.

And any opinions on the reservoir? Is it better to not have one at all, if its likely to be quite low in the loop?

Thanks for the link about tube size 3stars, I guess from that reading i`ll probably just go for 3/8ths. At least then there`ll be slightly less of a resistance when going to a Y split to 1/4" for the RAM. The Y split idea I like Radodrill, i`d just then have to decide at what point to feed it back in to the loop (before or after the CPU?).

And the Swiftech GPU block seems to be a no brainer.

Mr Stom

EK waterblocks are highly regarded for their full-cover GPU blocks around here; and I'm sure their CPU blocks live up to the same standards as well.

You'd want the total flow from the pump going through the CPU so I wouldn't put any Ys between the pump and the CPU. I'd say your best bet would be to either run the RAM blocks in parallel and/or have a leg of tubing that bypasses the RAM.

Ok, another noob question.....

I`m gonna be moving back home shortly, and transporting the rig in a van, and possibly transporting again when I get a job, after that, hopefully it`ll stay put.

Is it best to drain the system for transport or will it be safe to transport with liquid in it? Also, i`d prefer to transport it laid on its side....

Ok, another noob question.....

I`m gonna be moving back home shortly, and transporting the rig in a van, and possibly transporting again when I get a job, after that, hopefully it`ll stay put.

Is it best to drain the system for transport or will it be safe to transport with liquid in it? Also, i`d prefer to transport it laid on its side....

Since there should be a good seal in the fill plug (either with a res or T-line) There shouldn't be any issues transporting it filled; the only thing to consider is the weight, without the fluid it'll be somewhat lighter (and guaranteed no leaks in transit).

Thanks for the advice guys, your responses are much appreciated.

Rado.....you are super fast buddy, thanks for your help and answering the noob questions, your help is much appreciated.

I`m almost set, gonna sleep on it and maybe order tommorrow.

Cheers,

Mr Stom

Rado.....you are super fast buddy, thanks for your help and answering the noob questions, your help is much appreciated.

When I'm near a PC I usually check the new posts every 10-30 min; except when I'm at work, then usually once every hour or 2.

We're here to help and all started out as noobs at some point in time.

I always drain my loop if I am going on a long haul. A short ride to a friends house or something I leave it filled but standing straight up. If you lay it on its side the air in the T-Line or reservoir will move to the highest point in the loop and force you to bleed the loop before you can use the rig anyway.

I always drain my loop if I am going on a long haul. A short ride to a friends house or something I leave it filled but standing straight up. If you lay it on its side the air in the T-Line or reservoir will move to the highest point in the loop and force you to bleed the loop before you can use the rig anyway.

Good call on standing upright for filled transportation.