Sign in to follow this  
ArchVile

my opteron 170 is running too hot

okay so i bought an opteron 170 with a LCB9E stepping. dunno if thats good. ne way. when i Oc'ed it to 2.4 ONLY with the voltage at 1.3 its saying the cpu is running at 45C! wtf? is that just how hot one core is running or what

Guest LookBackX2

try reseating your hs/fan or waterblock, whichever applies.

Guest LookBackX2

Nah, there is the possibility that your HS/fan base is concaved or convex, therefore not making correct contact with the procs IHS. You might need to lap the base to get a truly flat contact area.

Also, double check that you have not accidentally set the vcore too high. That would definitely cause high temps.

Can you see from the impression in the thermal goo if the CPU is making nice flat smooth contact? Also, where are you getting this temp reading from? And, does your bios also show a CPU temp?

yea its flat. i think its not too bad though. the main thing thats worrying me is the PWM IC temp when its under load. when i ran prime95 it was running at 61 C for a while. that freaked me out. the CPU was only at 48 which isnt too bad

Guest LookBackX2

Have you checked the vcore setting in the bios?

dunno. but i think i solved the problem. aaahhhh the wonders of compressed air :-P my PWM is still kinda high but its not too bad

"dunno. but i think i solved the problem. aaahhhh the wonders of compressed air :-P my PWM is still kinda high but its not too bad"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

?????? what exactly did you do....since you just installed the CPU, one would have to assume the parts where nice and clean from dust bunnies already....

get a VC-re for the chipset, you will be rewarded with substantly lower temps....and it is quieter than the stock one, and lasts a lot longer....

laterz.