Bring an 8 core Mac Pro to its knees?

Devil 07

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Macs aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I have not found them to be as good as the Mac zealots claim (I have and use a Macbook on a daily basis), but they're not terrible.

All shapes and sizes.

having a mac is like having parents that tell you how to dress, were you go to college, what your job is going to be, and who your wife is.

im so sick of seeing more cores, rather than better performing cores!

Well, Apple doesn't make the processor and it's not an actual 8 core chip. It's 2 quad core chips. Also, from what I see, Intel has been coming out with better and better cores and AMD is in pursuit. The Gigahertz threshold has been just about reached so it only makes sense to make processors with multiple cores. The future of processors is having a chip with many cores that operate at lower speeds but allow for much faster and efficient computers.

having a mac is like having parents that tell you how to dress, were you go to college, what your job is going to be, and who your wife is.

I'm not sure if you've ever used a Mac or not but this is pretty far off in my opinion. Like I said earlier, I'm not a Mac fan boy but I know a good product when I see one. Apple has really changed their philosophy over the past few years and are moving more towards being open. OS X is practically a Unix OS and now that you can run Windows on a Mac they have made their argument much stronger. To each their own though...

Guest LookBackX2
OS X is practically a Unix OS and now that you can run Windows on a Mac they have made their argument much stronger. To each their own though...

Yes Mac has made their argument much stronger, but have you seen the retail prices of these machines? Basically, you are paying for an Intel server grade chipset and motherboard when you purchase a Mac pro. Anyone could build an equivalent windows based machine since they left the Power PC procs behind for Intel hardware. What makes them different, and amazing is the OS, but on the same token they don't really cater to the open source community since it is built on base bsd, not linux, and not a full UNIX. They chose the red headed stepchild of open source languages. In my opinion it was a great move. It's stable, open, and not very popular. What a great way to take advantage of the benefits of a UNIX based language without becoming just another GUI for linux. They have even managed to keep the stigma of requiring a Mac machine to run the OS.

It is still seen as an exclusive product as a whole, all the while using proven hardware and software completely different from what the company built itself on.

Even making the changes independantly from one another is genius.

I agree the Mac Pros are quite expensive but the Mac Minis and Mac Books are pretty darn reasonable. I think my next laptop might be a Mac, I've never seen a laptop built more solidly for that price. Also, the whole reason they restrict their OS to only a certain hardware platform is because they write their OS specifically for their hardware which allows them to make their systems more stable. For example, with a MacBook you can totally remove the battery, pop it back in and turn it on and you'll be right back at the same screen you were. Or if you were to drop your MacBook, it will actually stop the hard drive from spinning before it hits the ground so it can take more G's. Pretty innovative things.

i wasnt flaming apple for the cpu cores, im just saying in general, mainly with intel. That they are just adding cores to chips because thats all they know how to do basically, and its not helping in performance much. Not until apps are being written properly; multi threaded. And they have NOT maxed out the performance of single chips. they were probably thinking that back at P2 stages. Getting faster cores, doesnt mean more mhz, in fact it can even mean less mhz. And applications benefit most from faster cores, not more. Also added cores = added heat. = greater chance of failed chip =greater chance of getting a crappy clocker. And my purpose wasnt to say intel sucks they cant make faster chips so they just add more. They are lazy blah blah blah, i ccant do it so who am i to say that. Im just saying i wish they'd stop adding cores and work harder on software optimization, better drivers, apps, and faster cores. it can all be done. (look at how big of an impact of c2d was with their new faster cores, more efficient too!) now that they have the fastest chip they probably just think, eh lets just add more cores......4 cores, okay. w/e ill get over it 64 cores. wtf! intel plans to launch what was it 32core chips in liek the next 5 years, dont know actual years u get the point tho. I Think this is retarded. unless software has huge develpments of course

and the thing about mac, it was kinda a joke, but what it came from was the fact that mac's stuff is proprietary. and their software is rather restrictive, its gotten less so, as you mentioned. But honestly with their retarded commercials they deserve as much bashing as they get, actually much more. Besides the only reason why everyone has 'mac is so good for artsy, graphics,editing bs' is because adobe had a deal with them a while back (cant remember the year) and photopshop was mac exclusive. and they've held onto that legacy ever since. Notice their blatant propaganda commercials for instance......