Item reccommendation

I'm also looking to get into watercooling, and after trolling the web for a few days I'm ready to make a shopping list. Right now its just going to be the CPU, as adding and tweaking my new opty 165 combined with the hot summer pushes temps up to the low 50's, which I'd rather not do. I might be adding other components later, so a bit of headroom for future expansion would be nice...

Pump: Liang D5

Going with this one since its the most referred to. Is there any real difference between the basic version and the one with the adjustable flow rate? How much value does that adj actually add?

Rad: Black Ice GT Stealth 240

Currently I have 47cfm Yate Loon fans, but would upping to the medium speed ~74cfm Yates be better for this radiator? I'm looking for a mostly silent system.

CPU block: Danger Den TDX

This one i'm not sure about, but it seems pretty good. Any other thoughts?

Extras:

10ft Tygon 1/2", worm gear clips, distilled water, Swiftech HydrX additive,

Still torn between a cylindrical res, 1x or 2x bay res, or a fill port. Either way its going to take a bit of rearranging in this Tt Armor case to fit it all in - looks like case mods are in my future as well...

Everything looks good but I would change two things. Insted on the TDX go for the D-Tek Fuzion, and also if your planning on adding your video card to the loop you should consider a triple rad. The Fuzion and the Swiftech apogee GTX are the best performing blocks right now, and since the GTX is like $75 and you'd have to get a seperate mounting plate for S939 that brings us to the Fuzion.

Going with this one since its the most referred to. Is there any real difference between the basic version and the one with the adjustable flow rate? How much value does that adj actually add?

Kick-a$$ don't change this at all

Currently I have 47cfm Yate Loon fans, but would upping to the medium speed ~74cfm Yates be better for this radiator? I'm looking for a mostly silent system.

I had 4 blocks and just a 240 rad, and had no trouble... low temps... found adding another 120 dropped temps just a couple degrees, but not sure of the effect a 360 would have...

CPU block: Danger Den TDX

This one i'm not sure about, but it seems pretty good. Any other thoughts?

The TDX seems pricey for what it does, performance wise, and you would have to get the adapter... There are much cheaper solutions that are more than adequate...

Extras:

Go for quick-release clamps, you won't regret it. Also get yourself some teflon tape, it comes in really handy, as do a fill syringe and funnel :-) If you're cramped in the case, you might get a few elbow joints to help with tube routing, ut remember to get more clamps so you have enough... 25 packs are avail at jab-tech.com for a reasonable price an shipping is super fast!

Still torn between a cylindrical res, 1x or 2x bay res, or a fill port. Either way its going to take a bit of rearranging in this Tt Armor case to fit it all in - looks like case mods are in my future as well...

I'd be inclined in a future build of mine to go for a res... more water volume means more heat dissipaton, but I have no experience with a res so I can't recommend it at all... fillport works great for me, and you could even put two in there, one before the pump for filling and one after the pump for draining... I fund tat blowing into the fillport helped in the draining process too...

probably a longer reply than I wanted to give, got carried away :tooth:

Everything looks good but I would change two things. Insted on the TDX go for the D-Tek Fuzion, and also if your planning on adding your video card to the loop you should consider a triple rad. The Fuzion and the Swiftech apogee GTX are the best performing blocks right now, and since the GTX is like $75 and you'd have to get a seperate mounting plate for S939 that brings us to the Fuzion.

Ditto,

Also, I'd recommend the Pentosin over the Swiftech HydrX

Edit: Reservoirs make it easier to fill the system, but the T-lines use much less space

CPU block: D-Tek Fuzion

Extras:

I looked at the D-Tek as well - I like the pins inside, makes sense to me.

Only problem with a 360 radiator is space to put it. speaking of which, are there plates that help in mounting them vertically behind the front bay slots?

I looked at the D-Tek as well - I like the pins inside, makes sense to me.

Only problem with a 360 radiator is space to put it. speaking of which, are there plates that help in mounting them vertically behind the front bay slots?

Well in the case of the Stacker, the DD guys show one being mounted with Velcro that you can purchase from them. I used some to keep it from shifting on the top of my case and the adhesive is quite strong and should more than suffice for this purpose.

Found some old pieces from a Raidmax case- 5 1/4" covers that attach to the rails with screws behind the bezels (2x1" tabs on a 5 1/4" wide strip) that would wrap around the radiator. Just need to make some holes in this for mounting screws since they are only on the front/back of the rad. The actual rails from the LCS setup are pretty complicated, I just found a much simpler option.

thermaltake-armor65.JPG

I got my watercooling parts a few weeks ago. unfortunatly for me i got it at a bad time (exam week). anyways i got the fuzion D-5 and a 360 GTX for my TT armor with a few other blocks. i measured beforehand so the GTX should fit otherwise i'm gonna be pissed and go on a dremel frenzy. i've got a few more days before i have time to start modding my case. Can't wait :)

Also from what i read the fuzion is one of the best for multicore CPUs. judging from the size of the copper bottom i must say i'm impressed.

it's really hard to hit the books with a box of LCS equipment right next to ya. T_T

really hard to hit the books with a box of LCS equipment right next to ya. T_T

I'll agree - I get pretty impatient if there is a stack of new toys lying around, waiting to be used.

what about something like this? Comes with a little bit of passive cooling on the res. A draining fillport makes sense, although for filling I think I might try to use something like the above link, v.s. a bay res.

• 1 month later...

Finally bit the bullet -

- Frozen CP -

Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 240 Radiator - Blue

XSPC Passive 150mm Reservoir - SILVER

- Misc -

D5 pump (thanks UncleDavid!)

D-Tek Fuzion CPU block

10' Masterkleer 1/2"ID

Swiftech HydrX Extreme Duty Coolant

I'll throw the rad on a radbox on the back end of the tower for now, then figure out some kind of custom mounting on the top. Pump in the bottom front, res next to the PSU up top.

Kicked the idea around for quite a while, glad its all finally in the mail!!