Sign in to follow this  
SubZeroGTS

Opteron 170, wanna go further

see my sig for what i have.

it becomes unstable by 2.7GHz =

what can i do? if i move to water cooling, how much more voltage could i put into it, and could i hit 3ghz stable for a machine that is on 24-7 and games? (i.e, not just a hit high overclock, screenshot, and declock)

i'm also keen on water cooling's noise improvements. this thing sounds like a 747. :mad:

it's already a year old.

If you need 1.48v for 2.6 then you probably won't make it to 3ghz. And as far as your rig sounding like a 747 i'd take out that tornado and get a quieter fan. Much cheaper then moving to water.

If you need 1.48v for 2.6 then you probably won't make it to 3ghz. And as far as your rig sounding like a 747 i'd take out that tornado and get a quieter fan. Much cheaper then moving to water.
I can hit 2.8GHz with 1.5v on this, but it's not stable. Prime95 fails on one core eventually and every once in a while I'll get a blue screen.

there are fans that can move as much air as a tornado but are quiet? o_0

What is the stepping of your 170?? There are databases which will tell you what your stepping will achieve. My 170 is a CCBBE 0610DPMW and is good for 3180Mhz max and 10x290 with 1.375v for 24/7 use. Seeing how your pushing 1.5v to get 2.8Ghz it's not looking good.

PM sent. Oh and my case is almost silent, except for my GPU's when I am doing 3D apps. All my case fans are Enermax UC-8EB's they are awesome I got them a few weeks ago.