sound issue in Win2k

Hi everyone, I haven't been around for a while. I have a NFII LpB with Windows 2000 and I can't get any sound out of the onboard audio. According to windows and the various volume readouts it shows that sound is playing, and I've tried multiple speakers, but unfortunately nothing. I haven't tried listening for sound out of the FrontX panel yet (hmm, that's an idea).

Can anyone offer any suggestions for a pal? I'm kind of hitting dead-ends, I still really like this motherboard and would like to get it running tip-top again. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I think this may be resolved.

Logan's terrific LpB-UI FAQ had a troubleshooting link to an nforcershq forum post explaining to make sure that two jumpers are sitting on the Front Audio panel header, even if there is nothing connected to it. It should look like this:

: : | . |

: = open/no jumper

| = jumper

. = single pin to prevent backwards hookup

(Thanks to xlr8shun for that tidbit from months gone by)

On my board the jumpers were missing. I'll know tomorrow if adding them worked.

it will work,

i had remove those jumper tu plus the front X panel on my board, when i changed my case, i have remove the fornt X panel .. and i had no sound i was like WTH ... i then look into the manual and saw jumper on the mobo pic, so i put them back and sound came back....

I just put the jumpers back on, but I need a hard drive to see if it works. Maybe my boss will sell me one of the old 40 gig pata drives from the forgotten bin.

In the manual the pins those jumpers sit on are labeled Aud_L_Out, Aud_L_Return, and Aud_R_Out, Aud_R_Return. Makes sense. :D

EDIT: Win2K is back on and the sound works great!

• 5 weeks later...

I have this problem. I am missing the jumpers. But i don't know where my jumpers are :( Where can i get some from? My local computer store? Or is there anything else from other hardware that might fit? (i have a bunch of sound cards, cd drivers etc... around the house)

• 1 month later...
I found some jumpers... still no sound :O

;:(

EDIT: Maybe the jumpers don't? They were two blue ones off one of those old orange Thermal take fans, and an identical one i just found in an old mobo box.

The jumpers should work, does your Windows mixer look like the computer is trying to play sound? What does device manager say?

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for late reply/dragging up old thread.

Yeh, the drivers install fine, device manager says everything is a-o-k. Volume controls change as normal, any sound source such as mp3's in any media player act as if its playing fine, just no sound!

I am currently studying for exams and don't have too much time to fiddle around with this. I will post back after 6th of Nov and try get a pic of my jumper configuration just to make sure i have done it 100% correct :)