Sign in to follow this  
uneedav8

Safari browser for windows

I'm using safari right now for the PC. It's still a beta though. Crashed on DIY-street.com homepage but works on the forums.

It's a fancy UI. I will use it on my new lappy while on vacation and see how I like it.

Its font smoothing is very annoying.

The mac guy at work was all hot to show me this today. So to counter what he had to say, I had some fun with him and installed it on a PC with a 897MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM running WinXP. It ran, well no, not really it didn't. Trying it at home on something way more modern seems pretty snappy minus the bugs.

Guest Gir

I saw something about it on the news this morning claiming it was 2 times faster than it's competitors. Also they said it was just released today so maybe i'll give it a try later as well.

The mac guy at work was all hot to show me this today. So to counter what he had to say, I had some fun with him and installed it on a PC with a 897MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM running WinXP. It ran, well no, not really it didn't. Trying it at home on something way more modern seems pretty snappy minus the bugs.

Your "trick" on the Mac guy with celeron could be looked at both ways...Did it run bad becuase it's "poorly written" software, thus pointing at Apple, or does it say that "Crappy PC's" can't handle the program...The Apple lovers at my work (Video producers) would say the latter. I've seen it used on several older G3 and G4 Macs smoothly... Be careful lol. You could be scoring a point for the other team...lol

Anyways...I'm quite jeoulous right now about our work's new 8 core Xeon powered Mac Pro with 8g of ram used exclusively for video editing. Rummers are that it is supposed to run windows XP without a hitch, and better then PC's...What does that say? (Other then the fact that as far as I'm concerned it is a PC now lol)

I'm being Devil's Advicate today...

-Malibuss

I saw something about it on the news this morning claiming it was 2 times faster than it's competitors. Also they said it was just released today so maybe i'll give it a try later as well.

I don't really care for it very much, no real reason though. It's pretty much just like every other browser out there, except it loads slower.

heh they had some Mac dork on NPR (National Public Radio) spouting about this browser and the interviewer was sitting there using it and telling him it still wasn't as good or fast as Firefox and the Mac dork was almost sputtering with disbelief (you know how those mac fanboys get, all superior until you tell them that less than 5% of computer users use a Mac then they really get enraged and go on and on about total nonsense lol).

Tried it, didn't think it was nearly as good as Firefox, uninstalled it, end of story.

Maybe Mac will either get the hint and die (computers) and only make iWhatevers, or maybe they'll wise up and release their OS for all computer hardware and give Microsoft some competition. Doubtful, mac dorks will just continue to spout about how their systems are superior but never actually do anything to show us they are heh.

iwhatevers, lol are the only thing keeping the company afloat. I think Macs are ugly computers. They remind me of the 70s and the only cool thing that came out of the 70s was lava lamps.

I dont like the Safari browser either, FF + IE7 do me just fine, FF I prefer only because of the spell checker

I will always use Opera since it's configurable and blocks pretty much everything. I got the 9.21 running with ease.

I use that on my media PC because Firefox made the screen flicker. Dunno why, but Opera worked fine and I really kinda like it.

One HUGE problem for me with Safari is the lack of the ability to click the scroll wheel and drag the screen around. I use this all the time, but apparently they still don't know what capabilities a real mouse has.

Your "trick" on the Mac guy with celeron could be looked at both ways...Did it run bad becuase it's "poorly written" software, thus pointing at Apple, or does it say that "Crappy PC's" can't handle the program...The Apple lovers at my work (Video producers) would say the latter. I've seen it used on several older G3 and G4 Macs smoothly... Be careful lol. You could be scoring a point for the other team...lol

Anyways...I'm quite jeoulous right now about our work's new 8 core Xeon powered Mac Pro with 8g of ram used exclusively for video editing. Rummers are that it is supposed to run windows XP without a hitch, and better then PC's...What does that say?

I dunno if it was the software or the PC. I'm guessing the software, because it doesn't run all that great at home either.

We just got a few of the 8 core Mac Pros too. I get to cut them up so they fit into the racks in the machine rooms. Haha, PC debauchery to a Mac. I was gonna try Win Server 2K3 on one of them and see how it runs. I didn't know Win XP would run on these. I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.