Sign in to follow this  
WintersFury

Opty 165 - New or Used?

After trolling around on the egg and seeing the prices the P965 boards have dropped to... I'm thinking of getting one and a e4300. I should be able to hit 400fsb and that'll give me 3.6GHz for cpu speed. Which is much more to my liking, sure no 4mb cache but with the processor that fast I can get over it ;)

And after thinking about it a bit, the faster the cpu the longer I can wait till I upgrade the mobo / cpu again so that'll save me $ in the long run. Thanks for getting me thinking about sticking with an Intel setup :)

I'm running an early 4300 on a 965 board.True I can boot to XP at 3.6ghz it's not stable.Maybe with a different board I could get there.Point being is

it trounces my old 165 Opteron rig.I can't complain at all.Maybe a better board later on but since I game alot it rocks for me at a good price.

Yeah and for 3.6ghz you will probably need more than aircooling.

I'm not sure if the eliminator will be enough to handle it. Maybe if you have really good ambiants and get a really good chip that needs low volts. I have the regualr coolit freezone and my experience is that it is really dependent on your ambiant temp when you reach the higher mhz. My room was really hot so I wasn't able to take it past 3.3ghz. When I took it to my friends house I raised it to 3.4ghz. Haven't been able to try for more but I think the chip is nearing it's max OC anyways. In a few months i'll be able to see how it handles a Q6600 though.

After trolling around on the egg and seeing the prices the P965 boards have dropped to... I'm thinking of getting one and a e4300. I should be able to hit 400fsb and that'll give me 3.6GHz for cpu speed.

The overclock in my sig hasnt been pushed any further because it does twice what I ever expected it to do at that speed. It is stable, and quite honestly, more than I will need for a long, long time.

If this is the route that you decide, you will be amazed at what that combo will do at stock speeds, let alone OC'ed.

I like Prospectors style of upgrading. Start out going to buy a $100 Opty and end up buying an E4300, a new board and a coolit eliminator. I have 2 C2D builds up and running now, just picked up a DFI ICFX3200 to put my 3rd together. With DDR2 being so cheap I went on a shopping spree and now I have to do something with these other sticks of memory.

At this point you may as well order the board, the memory and the cooling but hold off on the CPU until July 22nd and grab a $266 Quad to upgrade your main rig.

CP once said a while back that it's all about what hardware you feel comfortable with.

I couldn't agree more.

Just because some street folks think hardware "A" is the popular choice, it's still your money.

Do what feels right for you, we gave you some things to consider, but in the end you pretty much know what you are going to do.

have fun and good luck with your choices. :)

couldn't agree more

and i concur with new optys doing 2.7-2.8 :]

Well I'm not really 100% expecting to hit 3.6 as I know the heat issues and that the chip may not get that far. So I may have to drop the multi.

But it'll save me $50 for a better graphics card and will let me hit over 3GHz easier than my current chip which I'd have to max out my ram with to get it that fast. And trading up to one of the 63's with the 4mb cache from what I can tell wouldn't give me a performance boost.

I'm sure I'll figure something out by the time I actually have the current system sold as that may not be for a lil while. Heck I may hold out and save up some extra $ to get one of those rumored $266 Q6600's sometime next month.

Guest Retratserif

Even though the Opty is now 100$. I think I will just stay with what I have and build up a new rig.

I have a buddy thats going to sell me a Commando and 4300 cheap. So I can do payments to him. If I get 3.0-3.2 I would be more than happy. Most expensive thing is upgrading the vidoe card. With that system I would like to at least have a 8800.

an opty 165 oced to 2.6 a 8800 vid card and 2 good gbs of ram should play crysis and most other DX10 games for maybe a year..

I wouldn't buy the chip used.

A lot of people buy a chip, and say "oh wow, I got a good overclock - when I sell it, let me make sure I completely rape the person buying it!" Like this, or here... charging $20-$70 more than new retail for an abused OCed chip. It's total crap, and one of the reasons I stopped buying used hardware.

Even better is, there's no guarantee the person is telling the truth. They could just have set the time in windows to yesterday, booted up, started prime, and set the proper time.. and now you have 25 hours of prime stable in under 10 seconds. Or just lied completely, since most of these don't even include stability tests.

At least buying a new chip you have a warranty if it's DOA, a chip that has yet to be abused, but most importantly you're not getting ripped off by someone looking to cash in on the enthusiast overclocking community. The idea of paying more for "proven" steppings when a chip works differently with different board/cpu combos(I gained 150 MHz just switching from ch5 to tccd on opteron) is a sham, IMHO.

Sign in to follow this