Opty 165 - New or Used?

WintersFury

Ok, so I'm looking to do some upgrading of my 939 rig.

Now I can get a 165 from newegg for about $100. I have no idea what to expect in terms of ocability / stepping of the chip. I'm going to guess 2.6-2.7 will be the low end of what I can really expect out of it?

Now I could also go buy a used one and have a pretty good idea of where the chip will max out. However those chips seem to cost a fair bit more depending on where they max out. And well I don't know what kind of abuse may have been done to them while the other person had them like going crazy with voltages or whatnot.

So which would you guys recommend to get?

2.7 seems to be about average for the newer 939 steppings. $100 for a 2.6 - 2.7 939 dual core is a smokin deal.

That's what I was thinking. I have an Ultra-D and the 3000+ I have is a bad OCer and only gets to 2.4GHz before I need to start really giving it the volts.

Should be a good upgrade for the computer. Thanks for the info all :)

Since people are looking at this I figure I'll ask a non 165 question. I'm selling the rig in my sig to a friend. Bunch of reasons why.

So my choices are to upgrade the memory / cpu in my 939 rig, or upgrade nothing and just sit on the cash till new games come out that I want to play and can't play on the 939.

I figure a 2.6+ 939 cpu and 2gb of memory should last me a while as I tend to play MMO's / RPG's and the like where big fps numbers don't really matter. But I figure that since I'm on the subject of it all I'd see if you guys think it would be worth it and keep up for another few years?

The other tempting thing is to pick up an Lanparty NF590 AM2 an AM2 x2 or Opty and keep my current 2gb kit. Which would wind up costing me about $50-100 more, but should let me hit higher cpu clock speeds and I could sell the entire 939 setup.

Too many options. And I know C2D is the fastest thing out there. However I feel like I'm getting more for my $ with an AMD setup at least feature wise on the mobo. And I don't need the cpu power as all I use the computer for that's cpu intensive is gaming. And I'll admit I'm still kind of partial to AMD stuff.

i reckon throw the opty in and wait to see what dx10 games come out i wouldn't expect to see anything till the end of the year and vista's a pile of crap now it'll need sp1 or 2 to iron out all the bugs. On the amd front i reckon there gonna have some thing in the near future to go up against the C2D and that will create a price war to end all wars.

If you are going to sell your 939 rig you would be smart to go Intel, AM2 is a semi-glorified 939.

Smart cost-effective move is to stay with 939 and get that $100 opty. Plenty of power left in that platform for a year or so down the line.

If you are going to sell your 939 rig you would be smart to go Intel, AM2 is a semi-glorified 939.

Smart cost-effective move is to stay with 939 and get that $100 opty. Plenty of power left in that platform for a year or so down the line.

Been using Intel... Didn't really get into it and I'm selling that rig in the first place. Been running the rig in my sig (But at 2.5GHz) since the beginning of the year. And yeah, I know AM2 is just 939 with DDR2 (And not much more performance). However for only $50 more than upgrading the 939 (As I'd have to get more memory for the 939, 1gb doesn't cut it anymore) I could go with an AM2 setup and they seem to on average clock a fair bit higher than the 939 chips did.

I've thought about rebuilding it as in Intel system. But I would want a board that can do a higher fsb (Which is more $) and a cpu with a higher multi (Which would be more $ if I kept a 1066 fsb cpu to get a 4mb cache). I'd personally rather spend less on the mobo / cpu as well all I really do is game so cpu speed doesn't effect my gaming too much and spend more $ on a better graphics card as that will give a noticable difference in gaming.

EDIT:: I know saying a C2D is more power than I need as a gamer then saying if I was going to keep using one I'd want it even faster makes no sense. But if I'm going to spend all that $ on a system 2.5GHz just seems rather weak... It's the OCer in me thinking the numbers are too low I guess :D

CP once said a while back that it's all about what hardware you feel comfortable with.

I couldn't agree more.

Just because some street folks think hardware "A" is the popular choice, it's still your money.

Do what feels right for you, we gave you some things to consider, but in the end you pretty much know what you are going to do.

have fun and good luck with your choices. :)