Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gir_merged

Need Help. Temps no lower with the Noctua

Guest Gir

Ok i went from a zalman 9500 to a noctua (120mm fan ones) i have 2 88cfm fans on it in push pull.

Temps are still 48-50deg. I am applying a bbs sized amount of as5 in center of my cpu as always. Should i maybe try a different thermal compound? i have the stuff that game with my noctua and some geil stuff thats 5% copper+ 5 % silver.

i set it straight down onto cpu then tighten the bolts till they stop just as instructed by notcua pamplet

could there be anyways that the software im using (everest mainly but everything for some odd reson be wrong) is reading wrong? all the ones i have tried have been within 1-2deg of each other and bios is 5-10deg warmer idle than anything else

or do you guys think i need to delid my 146? which leads me to ask if my new cooler would work on a naked cpu.

Thanks for any help but i am getting slightly frustated especially after spending $75 (well a little less) on my new cooler and shipping for it.

Well, I don't think that the NH-U12 is better than the Zalman. Also, I don't think the NH-U12 will benefit much from a push pull configuration with high RPM fans. The space between the fins is pretty large and from my experiences (I have one myself) the difference between low CFM fans and high CFM fans isn't that big at all. It's pretty much optimized for slower fans and low sound level. Temps reported by software is never to be trusted :P Taking the IHS off should improve the temps ofcourse, sometimes very much if the contact bad.

And yes, you can use the NH-U12 on a lidless cpu. I've done it myself, I just added some shims (or spacers, or whatever it's called in english) between the springs and the mounting bracket to compensate for the loss in height of the CPU.

Hi all

Remember that AS5 needs about 200hours to reach optimum operating efficiency. you could try metal pads as a substitute to AS5

As stated by someone else that Noctua fans are designed for low DB (17 Db think on 120mm 1200RPM)

[d]Doc[/b]

Guest Gir

I know the the notuca was desinged for for low sound but from tests and reviews i have read adding a high cfm fan to them makes them cool like a dream. If all this ends badly i will go water cooled. (guess i need a bigger case then, thermatake tsunami is what im working out of now)

downloading ihs removal video now and starting it soon

Guest Gir

Alright i removed my ihs and remounted everything and temps dropped 2-3deg they are 46/47c max load. if it's really this hot i am imagining that the software is reading wrong. (bios reports 42ish idle) my very last step is to pick up a temperature monitor and if it ready these temps i will either throw it all away or go water. i just can't seem to believe this thing is this hot.

anyways thanks for all the infor guys

What is your ambient temp? Compare that with a stock voltage idle temp. Almost all of my single core 939 stuff on air will idle no more than 5 degrees above ambient. I get better temps with an XP-90 and low speed fan

Guest Gir

i honestly have no idea what the temp in my room is. but i have a thermometer/alarm clock/clock combo thing i just got to get batteries.

edit: got batteries and ill let it set there for 30min-hour to get a good reading and ill post it

Guest Gir

temp i showing to be 28.8c 83.8f after it has been in the room for an hour and yeah it feels a little warm in here but doesnt feel that hot

idle temps are 32core/36cpu according to everest so thats 7c above ambient then

(im going on the basis that cpu temps are what im looking for not core temps in everest correct? or am i looking at the wrong thing)

i checked the everst website and the diode temp is a reading from the chips onboard thermometer thingy and cpu is for the temp around the socket.

so should i just go for what the diode says as that is actually the temperature i need to be concerned with?

and if so could it be my bios doesnt completely recongnize the opty and thats why it is reading way higher?

7°C above ambiant inst that bad

and with a room temp 47°C under load is good

im at 43-45 under load here with a 22°C room temp