Sign in to follow this  
tasr

Military or bust………………

Depending on what job you choose though it could easily take more than a few months to get it guarenteed. I was on DEP for like 6 months and I was ready to go right then. But since I wanted a guarenteed job (3C0X1) I had to wait longer.

But for anyone wanting to enlist never signup "open general"...cause they are gonna give you whatever job THEY want you to have.

I was under the impression I didn't have to choose anything until sometime during Basic.

I'll be talking to the recruiter on Friday to clear up a few things, anything I should ask?

I don't plan on joining the military for a few different reason (non of which include me being cowardish or anything to that effect).

It's just not my calling in life.

Of course, I'm not completely ruling out the idea but for ME being an Electrical or Nuclear Engineer makes more sense.

But it's a completely "to each his own" situation.

My brother is a Chinook helicopter pilot for the 101st airborne division. That's what he always wanted to do.

Tell him goodluck keeping the girls off him for me

Those "birth control" glasses they issue at boot camp are enough to keep a two dollar french whore away.

The only military people I haven't liked were douche-bags before they entered the service. Everyone else has been good people.

The Marine Corps and Air Force are the two branches that have the least trouble. The Navy and Army have lowered their standards so much they're now having problems with "street gang" infiltration.

A couple of my buddies had "bad" sons that got the offer of prison or military. They did good for a while until they found others of a like criminal mind. Both are serving time in Leavenworth for stealing and trying to sell weapons and ammo. One punk thought he was selling to the mob when it was an NCIS sting. The other was selling drugs out of the hospital pharmacy.

im going into the navy. i was in ARMY J.R.O.T.C. for 4 years and served as a captain (platoon leader) on staff (S5-Technician). i wouldnt go, but i feel i could use the experience, confidence, discipline, etc. that is to be gained from the military. not to mention the benefits for my family and myself. i have had this on my mind for a while, but have decided that it is what i want to do.

good luck to all those who will be going in, and maybe i may see some of you, you never know!

:tooth:

I was under the impression I didn't have to choose anything until sometime during Basic.

I'll be talking to the recruiter on Friday to clear up a few things, anything I should ask?

When I enlisted I picked my job before I went into basic. I think if you don't get one guarenteed in writing before you ship out there is a chance you could end up doing something you don't want to do. They may have changed the way they do things but I doubt it. And as far as getting commissioned and becoming an officer like you mentioned before I have no idea how that process works. But deffinantly ask the recruiter about getting a job guarenteed before you ship out.

Thanks Splave! He is a really good kid. I've got to hand it to him he knows what he wants to do.

I am pretty sure he had an excellent upbringing from his parents:angel: My nephew, who is the first male born who will bear our last name is going for his second tour in Iraq this August. The Marines made a better man out of him. Good luck and thank you to our man and women on the services.

Guest Lavell

I just came out of the Navy a week ago. I can say I had the best 15 years of my life until I got to the USS Halyburton FFG-40 homeported at Jacksonville, Florida. It was pure hell there for the last 3 years of my career.

My advice to you is to get stationed somewhere on the west coast. It's more relaxed and less stressful than the east coast. You and your family will be taken care of alot better on the west coast. I can't stress this enough. Unless it's a dying need, don't get stationed on the east coast! Good luck to you and your family.

im going into the navy. i was in ARMY J.R.O.T.C. for 4 years and served as a captain (platoon leader) on staff (S5-Technician). i wouldnt go, but i feel i could use the experience, confidence, discipline, etc. that is to be gained from the military. not to mention the benefits for my family and myself. i have had this on my mind for a while, but have decided that it is what i want to do.

good luck to all those who will be going in, and maybe i may see some of you, you never know!

:tooth:

My advice to you is to get stationed somewhere on the west coast. It's more relaxed and less stressful than the east coast. You and your family will be taken care of alot better on the west coast. I can't stress this enough. Unless it's a dying need, don't get stationed on the east coast! Good luck to you and your family.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Colorado/Wyoming/Montana area (in the case of the USAF anyways)

I really don't care what I end up doing since I'm pretty sure I'm going to dislike any job regardless of it being in the employ of the government or not. I'd rather just live in an area I might be able to have fun in.

I'll make sure I know what the job is before signing anything though.

I did a 4 years in the Marines from 94-98. I loved the experience and the meet alot of interesting people and friends. I was fortunate to see both sides of the Fleet. Its pretty much divided into ground and air, and believe me there is a difference. And yes I would agree military service is not for everyone. Being that your son has a good GPA, his recruiter should have told him about the other options the corps has to offer other than just a regular grunt( 0311 grunt). In his case, he should be considered what the service calls a special screener. Meaning he can do counter intelligence, force recon(must be a good swimmer and good at land nav), or presidential guard duty. Note for force recon, infantry units have better chance than non infantry units to do the force recon indoc and there are height standards for presidential guard duty. Has he considered West Point or the Naval Academy?? Big choice to make. Good luck to him.

It's not something I'd do, but I wish the best for those who do. Regardless of whatever my political views may be at any given time, I always have and always will support the troops 100%.

I've considered joining myself, but it's not my thing. I don't even like having a boss, much less a CO that can kill me for insubordination. :tooth:

Actually, if they paid for the education, I'd still consider joining the JAG corps, but you have to already be a lawyer first.

Good luck to you all.

Guest LookBackX2

I was an enlisted soldier in the Army for 6 years. At my ETS I was an E-5, or Sgt.

My brother joined a couple years before me and is currently an intelligence officer. He just finished the Cpt's carreer course, and was assigned a new perm duty station. he served as a tank commander in Korea for a year, as well as the 3-7 Cav. intelligence officer for a year of wartime in Iraq.

My prayers are with your son tasr, and with you as well AnUnknownSource.

If a civilian career hadn't been calling me, I would still be in as well.

Stay alert, Stay alive!