Dell 2005FPW (and other 20" LCD's)

red930

I have the chance to come into one of these (albeit refurbished) for $216.50. Since it is refurbished, and since I know that they have somewhat of a backlight bleeding problem, do you think I should go for it? I have a 90-day warranty in which the shop will replace it if it goes wrong during those 90 days (they're offering me a free month of extra service afterward too). Thanks.

My other alternative would be this Samsung for $225.11 shipped. Or, does anyone have any other 20" monitor recommendations? My budget is around $200-$220. This will be used mainly for text as well as the occasional video edit.

Samsung - they make good monitors and you get the 3yr warranty too. When I did my own research I was left with a mediocre impression of the Dell FPW

I myself own a Samsung 940MW. This screen is for my father's work (he stares at a screen regularly for 10+ hours each day).

What was wrong with the Dell? Seeing as you own a 2007WFP, essentially an updated version of the 2005FPW, I don't understand your logic.

@Raider: I know the Dell uses an LG.Phillips panel (S-IPS).

If I remember rightly the WFP has better colour reproduction, better blacks, no backlight bleed because it uses the rather nice S-IPS panel with a pretty good response time.

I believe the panel lottery has started again and now includes the WFP.

Try before you buy is the best option but not always possible. I bought the WFP blind but going to this from a +6yr old CRT I would have been happy with any widescreen recent LCD.

why not let your dad use your LCD for a day or two. If he likes it sell it to him and get yourself a 24" one.

If I remember rightly the WFP has better colour reproduction, better blacks, no backlight bleed because it uses the rather nice S-IPS panel with a pretty good response time.

I believe the panel lottery has started again and now includes the WFP.

Try before you buy is the best option but not always possible. I bought the WFP blind but going to this from a +6yr old CRT I would have been happy with any widescreen recent LCD.

why not let your dad use your LCD for a day or two. If he likes it sell it to him and get yourself a 24" one.

I read somewhere that the 2007 uses random panels, and may have S-IPS and/or an M-PVA (or something along the lines of that) panel. The 2005 uses a S-IPS panel definitely.

Backlight bleeding I know is an issue... which is why I'm buying locally to check it out. I myself don't have the funds for a 24".. my desk isn't that big anyway.

Any other good 20" LCDs you guys can recommend?

• 4 weeks later...