Sign in to follow this  
cMw

Power got shut off while computer was on...

Alright so the power company had a scheduled outtage in which they were going to shut off power to homes where I live to do maintenance or something tonight. Well they did it last night...and my computer was on at 12:15 a.m. when they shut it off. So essentially I got worried that I might have problems booting it back up the next morning, which of course I do now. So basically i came down saw that only the yellow light on the bottom under the last PCI slot was on. Ok so obviously thats not good, so I tried to boot up and it started to get power for like a second(fan had started spinning) and then it died. So I cut power to it again gave it a few minutes and still that other yellow light where the ram sticks are never came on. Obviously i'm lost and really hope this situation is salvageable and could really use some input as I can't even get it to boot up.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3976/dfiultradig1.jpg

the circle at the bottom is for the LED that is currently lit up, and the one at the top is the one which doesnt light up and I need to come one for it to be able to boot up at all so, any input or help here is very much appreciative

If you have a multimeter or a spare PSU, chec that out first... when the power company turns power off and on (especially on) there's usually outrageous spikes, could have fried the PSU...

next try a long CMOS clear... have recovered from a similar occurance with a CMOS clear...

other than that I'd reckon it's time to start troubleshooting each component to see what was taken out...

if something was damaged, check your personal property or renters insurance if you have it... since the power company shut the power off on the wrong night, you should still be covered.

If you have a multimeter or a spare PSU, chec that out first... when the power company turns power off and on (especially on) there's usually outrageous spikes, could have fried the PSU...

next try a long CMOS clear... have recovered from a similar occurance with a CMOS clear...

other than that I'd reckon it's time to start troubleshooting each component to see what was taken out...

if something was damaged, check your personal property or renters insurance if you have it... since the power company shut the power off on the wrong night, you should still be covered.

yea I just talked to my uncle and since it gave it that first spurt of power, he thinks it might be the PSU also so I mean if it is that I don't mind going out to comp usa and picking up another antec for 60-70 dollars, it would just be a hassle rewiring it. I just am praying that nothing is wrong with the 2 hard drives i have..

Two things.

1) Is everything dead

or

2) Some stuff seems to work like case fans etc.

What I'm getting at is - is the PSU dead or the mobo?

If you have CD/DVD in your optical drive and you hear it spin up on turning your PC on, case fans start powered straight from the PSU work then you have a dead mobo (and potentially a stressed/damaged PSU). If not your PSU is dead but this doesn't mean everything else is OK (I hope it is though)!

already bought new PSU today, antec 550w going to try and hook it up now

and for the record, on the old psu, i couldnt even get it to boot up i only got 1 of the 2 lights on the mobo that should be on, meaning that when i pressed the power button on the case it does nothing

gonna try and install the new PSU now