How to make things shine; a lapping tutorial.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent tut Techno, I just orderd a 'lapping' kit from SVC as I've got a Freezer64 Pro and a few other sinks around here that are severely ridged or dull or whatever (as well as many cpu's with IHS's on them that I'd like to fool around with)

more pictures = always better

I think I might even make yet another tutorial video once I get the hang of it.

Good to hear, a video tutorial would really have been preferable, but I don't have the setup to do it. It's not tough to do, and with CPU's especially, after you get the nickel off, it's super fast and easy.

I've also found that using ridgid sanding blocks like what you'd use for stripping or auto-body are a great way to lap the huge heatsinks. Just move the block instead of the sink, hehe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dr_bowtie has some 10' x 4' x 3/8" (and some 1/4") glass sheets that he's going to try and get cut into 6"x3" or so blocks/strips, grind the edges smooth, and maybe offer them to the forum at a pretty decent price.

Tables and such, basically anything but glass I just don't like because it's not a true flat surface. 1/4" and 3/8" thick glass must be true flat or you would notice distortion/refraction in it, plus thick glass is durable as hell.

Anyway, I got some odd polish and it's finally bringing out the shine in a couple of my laps but it's a learning process. I've went all the way up to 2500 grit and I definitely enjoy using wet rather than dry, but I'm still not getting that glossy, mirror surface yet. More practice!

(and in the meantime, a TDX waterblock, AC Freezer 64 Pro, and TT Mini-Typhoon have all been smoothed down to a flat nearly-shiny surface haha)

Good idea, Technohydra, especially if you plan to do this on a regular basis.

A word of advise on maintaining a surface plate - make yourself a cover (cardboard or plastic is fine) to protect the surface. They are easily chipped, and you want to keep the working surface as clean as possible to maintain the accuracy. (I spent 20 years in Quality Control, where such plates are frequently used.) A cleaning with mineral oil on a yearly basis is also not a bad idea - pour a small amount on and rub into the stone with a soft cloth.

• 5 months later...
Guest Chemojay

I have been working on mine for a few days now. The nickel is very hard to get through. I will post a pic when I get done. This guide was very helpful.

Thanks