Sign in to follow this  
Technohydra

How to make things shine; a lapping tutorial.

Basically, it's going to be taking a 3"x4" hand mirror and fixing it to a block of wood, then attaching the sand paper to the mirror and using it on the base, instead of trying to move that huge heatsink around. It should do the same thing.

Ok, I have an Asus southbridge sink that's in terrible shape, so it should be a great part to do a tutorial on. I'll probably get the 301 finished after work tomorrow. Almost done!

Update: After finding out that this piece of junk was aluminum, and held together with glue, which came apart before I got 1 grit done, I fired up the torch and made a blob out of it. I need to find a new heatsink to lap...

And yes, I do have pictures of the aftermath to post...give me a day or so.

Great guide. What was that third pic though? I couldn't see it.

Lapping both the IHS and my Tuniq took at least 20C off load temps and evened the temperature difference between the two cores. I'm not sure which made more of a difference, but the IHS was pretty concave and the Tuniq certainly wasn't pretty.

How I checked for flatness was by pressing the two together and lifting the Tuniq to see if there was any suction between the two surfaces. The CPU would only stick to the base of the tower for a split second but there was enough suction to lift it. Also check this out:

Guest Blooz1

Great job, Techno!

This guide should help many people understand the whole concept and execution much better!

Great job, Techno!

This guide should help many people understand the whole concept and execution much better!

aaaaand that would be me..looks like i need to go back and finish the other 60% of it:rolleyes:

What i did helped a little though - could be better

Excellent piece of work.It was quiet easy to understand with the help of pictures.Great execution in this field.

Yo Hydra, you might want to show a pic or two with the reflection of a piece of graph paper, very easy to see distortions in the mirror image then, as opposed to a keyboard. ;)